Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Saved by the Wind

24 October 2016
The cold front hit hard and fast on Friday evening. We were enjoying a drink before dinner and enjoying a nice warm evening but we could see the line of clouds approaching and knew something was up. After double checking the anchor we headed below for dinner and a game of scrabble, I felt redeemtion might be in the air. Half way through the game we could hear what sounded like a train coming, the wind went from 5 knots to 25 knots in about 15 seconds with gusts well over thirty. We were well protected and the anchor dug in hard, aided by 80' of chain in only 10 ' of water. Fortunately, with the boat continually dancing around on the anchor chain it made concentrating on our game tough. After a few hard gusts, which rattled the mast, we decided to pack it on. Phew, saved by the wind.

Saturday morning dawned bright,sunny and cold, with the breeze still forecast to stay high during the day we decided to stay put until Sunday. We spent a relaxing day tinkering and reading and we were debating what to have for dinner when I spotted a motorboat approaching. Two crabbers stop by for a chat, asking about our trip and where we were from. They filled our bucket with fresh crabs for free, told us how to cook them and wished us a good trip. It was quite a fight to get them in the pot two or three at a time but we succeeded. It's not like eating lobster, lots of work for not much meat, after 2 or 3 I decided salad was more to my liking while Bev finished off the crabs. Since the weather was moderating it was early to bed so we could get an early start in the morning.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On