Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Aftermath of Matthew Begins

28 October 2016
We left Myrtle Beach Yacht Club with aspirations to get to Georgetown (distance of 60 miles). We encountered numerous bridges with little delay as South Carolina swing and lift bridges open on demand.

We slowly progressed as there was a no wake zone for approximately twenty-five miles; that was strictly enforced by the Coast Guard and DNR. We were number two in a parade of twelve boats, including large motor boats, who slowly motored at five knots. As we witnessed the flooding and devastation we were content to comply with their restrictions. It was a slow and sobering day that ended with dodging debris in the waterway.

We anchored beside Butler Island, about five miles from Georgetown. The anchorage is peaceful and is accommodating six boats this evening. Sandra and Bruce from "Soul Mates", who we originally met in the lock at Great Bridge Virginia, joined us for cocktails. this was a positive note to end the day. The attached picture is our view of the sunset this evening.

On a final note, thank you to everyone who has commented on our blog. We enjoy hearing your comments and it makes us feel attached to home.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On