Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

More Weeds Than Lake of Two Mountains on Race Night

30 October 2016
We lucked out with another beautiful anchorage and quiet night on the hook but, it was time to get moving again. Up early, coffee on, check the charts, hoist the anchor and we were away by 7:15. We're in the heart of one of the areas that had taken a pretty hard hit from Mattew and high water was a concern for us as we inched up to the first bridge. Unfortunately, this area doesn't have sign boards on the bridges but thankfully everything was fine. However, the debris we motored through was by far the worst we've seen to date. Our goal was to get as close to Charleston as we could and we made good progress for most of the day. Unfortunately, we went from too much water to not enough. We went through a 10 mile stretch where there was never more than 7 feet which included a few hundred yards of dragging the keel through the mud. The day ended with the discovery of a creek in the marshes that had lots of water and we settled in for the night. We anchored at low tide deep in the weeds and it was amazing to watch miles of salt marsh come into view as the 5 foot tide slowly lifted us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On