Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Dagny's Followers

19 December 2016
Well it hasn't taken us too long to slip into a very relaxed way of spending our days. Yesterday after venturing a half mile north of our anchorage by dinghy to explore a small reef we decided to move a little south. We hoisted anchor and set sail for Normans Cay; after a whole 7.5 miles we found an anchorage in the lee of the Cay where we were well protected from the east winds. Once settled we were back in the water snorkelling around a small reef which was teeming with all kinds of fish, including one big grouper which could have fed the multitude.We both had a great sleep as this was the calmest anchorage we've had in a few days.

This morning we decided to move a little further south and join Bianca and Dominic; so after 2.5 miles we dropped the hook just off their stern. Norman's Cay is famous for having been the home to a drug smuggling ring back in the 80s and there is a wreck of a DC3 in the lagoon. We loaded up the dinghies and headed off to explore the wreck; it was fasinating to see it. The whole area was alive with sea life as the small fish swarmed us and a huge stringray, buried in the sand, kept an eye on us..

We managed to get our kayak in for the first time today and we enjoyed a nice paddle along the beachfront before wading ashore for a walk. There a dozens of snails living in the rocks along the beach, talk about a tough live. It seems that as the tide comes in they get washed up on the beach away from the water, then they spend the next 6 hours walking back to the water. You guessed it, no sooner do they get there and the tide comes in and they're back on the rocks.

We'll see what tomorrow brings, maybe we'll stay here or maybe we'll move to the next island. It is a good thing we're not in a rush.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On