Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Cruiser's Mecca

27 January 2017 | Dagny amongst friends
We arrived in Georgetown on Wednesday afternoon after a scenic motor down Exuma Sound. Bev tried her hand at fishing again but to no avail. There were numerous reports of people hooking fish and hopefully next time it will be our turn. We found a nice spot to anchor right in front of Monument Beach and spent the afternoon in town exploring and grocery shopping.

They call Georgetown "Mecca"; it truly is beautiful and the harbour is full of boats from all over. Numerous cruisers spend their winter right here enjoying all the services and festivities that the area has to offer. There is a cruiser's net every morning on the VHF radio announcing the events of the day and also helping connect people who need help with various issues. They even announce the times the space station passes overhead so everyone can watch it, truly a neat sight in the twilight sky. There are 3 major beaches to anchor off, the most popular is Volleyball beach where people gather daily to chat and chill and play volleyball. We hiked to the top of the hill at Monument Beach and had a stunning view of the harbour and took today's picture.We then went down the east side and walked the beautiful beach that runs along the Exuma Sound side of the island. Larry arrives tomorrow for a week and hopefully we can visit Long Island and Conception Island while he is here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On