Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

What's in a Name?

23 February 2017
Another one of our favourite pastimes on Dagny as we travel around is looking at boat names and wondering why and how people have chosen the names they have. Some boats are named after women, some after various gods, numerous names are a play on words and some are named after famous ships or personal heroes. But whatever the chosen name is it is close to the owner's heart.

As an example, people ask us where the name " Dagny" comes from. Actually, the answer is easy, the name was on the boat and we liked the graphics. However, the reasons are a little more complex especially since we were registering the boat as a Canadian flagged vessel and there could not be another registered boat in Canada with the same name. We asked friends and family for suggestions but couldn't come up with anything we liked, and since "Dagny" means new day in Old Norwegian we decided to keep it. After all. the name is unique, we liked it and as I said the graphics looked good. Not to mentioned of course that apparently it is bad luck to change the name of a boat.

Among the hundreds of names we have seen, two have stuck in my mind as unique with interesting stories. "Corret" belongs to friends of ours from Maine and they purchased her from a French national living in Annapolis who had owned her for 36 years. " Corret" was an officer in the French army at the end of the 1700s and served for Napolean at one time. The father of the original owner of "Corret" served in the French Resistance in WW2 and "Corret" was his code name before he was killed. When Bill and Susan bought the boat they asked for and received permission to keep the name and continue honouring a hero.

"Anglezarke" is a small village in England but it is also the name of Dominic and Bianaca's boat. They bought the boat from an elderly couple in Toronto who owned her for 32 years and spent numerous years sailing the Bahamas and Cuba. When Dominic and Bianca met the owner and bought the boat they asked what the name meant; Anglezarke was the village where the gentleman proposed to his wife 62 years ago. They immediately decided to keep the name and the previous owner follows their blog as they re-aquaint "Anglezarke" with the Bahamas.

Today's picture "Corret" at anchor in Rock Sound
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On