Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

A Dog Day Afternoon

26 February 2017
Finally the weather moderated and we moved back to the east side of the Rock Sound harbour so that we could tend to a few chores on Friday. We had been advised that it was worth while to rent a car and tour the island so, off we went with Bill and Susan with a list of places to visit. This was the first time I've driven a right hand drive car so it was quite amusing; the driving part was easy however, it was operating the accessories that did me in. Every time I got in the car I looked for the seatbelt over my left shoulder and the windshield has never been so clean because every time I tried to signal a turn I turned on the wipers.

The day turned out magnificent for our island tour and we drove north to the glass window which is a narrow 100 yard strip of rock that separates the Atlantic from the Eleuthera Bank. The road used to be a natural bridge along the ridge but it was destroyed by a hurricane years ago and has been replaced by a new bridge. From there we visited some caves near Hatchet Bay, a popular surfer's beach on the Atlantic side and The Queen's Bath which are natural pools filled by the rising tide.

After a fun day of exploring we were heading back to the boats in our all inclusive rental car when we ran out of gas, what a surprise!
The deal was $100 for the day with all the gas included so none of us bothered to check the gauge and we learned the hard way that the low gas warning must have been an option. Fortunately, the Bahamians lived up to their reputation of being helpful; the first car along stopped and drove me 2 miles to a gas station and a friend of the owner drove me back to the car. This all happened within 20 minutes.

Today's picture is of a dog in Tarpum Bay relaxing after his morning swim.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On