Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Governor's Harbour

01 March 2017
After saying good bye to our Rock Sound friends we hoisted the anchor and headed off to Governor's Harbour. The morning started off flat calm but after an hour or so the wind picked up to around 8 knots and we enjoyed a relaxing sail to our destination. Governor's Harbour was home to the original capital of the Bahamas and there are numerous beautiful buildings from that era. The anchorage here is notorious for poor holding; however, we managed to get Rocky to bite well and we settled in for the evening. We had an unobstructed view of the horizon across the water and we finally got to see "The Green Flash" as the sun set.

Our destination for Monday was Hatchet Bay, 15 miles away, so we had ample time to explore the historic town before heading out. We dinghied ashore and after a quick stop at the grocery store headed out for our tour of the town. There are numerous stately homes on the steep hill in the centre of town that have stunning views of the harbour. We walked over the hill and down to the beautiful pink sand beach that runs down the Atlantic side of the island.

After lunch we set sail for Hatchet Bay in a stiff 17-20 knot breeze and arrived off the harbour entrance around 3 pm. The entrance is a 90 foot wide cut in the rock cliffs that surround the harbour, the water is deep but it certainly gets your attention. Once inside we anchored in the well protected harbour right beside a solo sailor from Quebec who we first met way back in Catskills NY.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On