Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

What a Town!

27 April 2017

We left Great Brdge Wednesday morning and caught the 9 a.m. bridge opening; the rain had finally quit and we were looking forward to a dry day. The first stop was Top Rack Marine for fuel, water and a pump out before continuing on to Portsmouth and we were a little surprised to find Jim, Debbie and the Atkins still there. They were waiting for UPS to deliver before they headed out. After a couple of delays for railway bridges we finally reached the free dock in downtown Portsmouth at 1 p.m., and we were fortunate to find space for both boats. What a great place to stay, there is a small harbour with a ferry landing right downtown with room for 5 or 6 boats; it's like being tied up at the foot of Crescent Street in Montreal.

Once we secured our spots Bev and I took the ferry over to Nauticus, which is home to the USS Wisconsin as well as an informative maritime museum. By the time we finished with the museum we felt we didn't have enough time for a quality tour of the Wisconsin so we headed back to Dagny. While we were away Paul and Laurie scouted out a nice restaurant for dinner as well as a retro movie theatre to visit. The Comodore Theatre opened in 1945 and is on the registry of historic buildings, and what a gem! Instead of the usual seats, everyone sits at cocktails tables complete with lamps and a phone to place your food order. The kitchen opens at 5:30 and customers order from the comfort of their tables while watching the latest trailers; once the feature starts on the HUGE screen the kitchen closes. We all enjoyed the newest Morgan Freeman film and raved about the fantastic atmosphere.

Portsmouth has much to offer and we look forward to stopping here our next time through!
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On