08 May 2017
Once we got out of Annapolis we made better time than expected and went right to Chesapeake City where we managed to find 2 spots in the crowded anchorage. It was a cloudy, sometimes wet day as it rained off and on but, we had a great sail in a 15 kt. westerly. Like most of the eastern part of the country it is well below normal temperatures so fleece pants and tuques are the order of the day; although, I wear my shorts underneath just in case.
Overnight the forecast improved so rather then stay in Chesapeake City Sunday we pushed on to Cape May. Getting down Delaware Bay is always a challenge due to adverse wind and tides. However, we timed it well and the forecasted winds pushed us along at a great clip until a couple of squalls caught up to us. It was during a 35 kt squall that 2 Outrageous jammed their jib furler and couldn't reef their Genoa. We elected to seek shelter in Cape Lewes which has a large fairly open approach so they could somehow get their sail down safely. Fortunately, once the winds and waves abated Paul managed to fix the jammed furler and secure the jib. Although we were only 4 miles from Cape Lewes we decided to go to Cape May and arrived safely at 6:30. Despite our issues and detour we still managed 78 miles in 11 hours.
Today's picture show's why you can't anchor in the channel at Cape May.