Here We Go Again
03 October 2018
Ever since Bev and I returned home from our trip 2 years ago we have been working towards returning to the Bahamas. Over the last two seasons we have upgraded many of Dagny's systems and added more safety equipment in preparation for another southern excursion. September 20th was our planned departure date and everything seemed in order until our insurance company dropped a bomb on us. While hurricane Florence was hammering the east coast we were forced to have the boat surveyed and shop for a new insurance policy. After 12 very frustrating days we succeeded in getting coverage with acceptable limits and proceeded to de mast Dagny. Wirh help from couple of friends we de rigged on Monday and headed to the border to secure our cruising permit. After another morning of headaches we finally got our permit and on Tuesday afternoon we returned to Mooney Bay in a torrential downpour with permit in hand. If jumping through hoops was an Olympic event Bev and I would be gold medalists.
Strong southerly winds were forecast for Thursday so it was imperative that we get as far south on Wednesday in the favourable conditions. We left Mooney Bay at 5:45 a.m. and after a long day under overcast skies we arrived in Whitehall NY at 6 p.m. We are the only boat here and with any luck should be able to make it through all 11 locks tomorrow. We are anxious to get the mast back up on Friday in Catskills NY and hope you follow along with us as we continue our southern adventure.
Today's picture is the entrance to the canal.