Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Revenge in The Dismal Swamp

27 October 2018
The people who followed our blog from our first Bahamian trip may remember the numerous thrashings I took at Scrabble, but last night I finally got some revenge. Saturday was a cool, rainy and windy day so after supper we fired up the generator, turned on the heater and settled down for a game. Low and behold, for the first time in two years I was victorious, however I was careful not to gloat because success can be a such fleeting thing. We were glad with our decision to stay put another day because during the night the front rolled through with high winds again and at least 2 inches of rain fell in just a couple of hours.

Another reason for staying an extra day was so we could attend Dismal Swamp Day, which is a one day festival hosted by the park staff. There were numerous displays and vendors selling local products to support the area charities as well as games for the kids. They had also planned free canoe and kayak lessons unfortunately, it was too cold. We wandered over to check things out and found they were giving wagon rides through the park which were narrated by a local historian. They even fired up the still that was in yesterday's photo and we all listened intently as they described how moonshine was made. Once our tour was over we retired to the Welcome Center lounge with the other boaters to warm up and make our plans for tomorrow. We had a fun stay but it is time to get moving and free up dock space for others to enjoy the area.

Today's picture is of a Barn Owl that was one of the raptors on display at the park today.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On