Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Elizabeth City

29 October 2018
We all enjoyed our time at the Dismal Swamp Welcome area but it was time to move on to Elizabeth City for some provisioning and laundry. Our floatilla of 8 boats left the dock at 7:30 and headed to the last lock on the canal. After jockeying around to fit everyone in the lock we were clear and on our way down the winding river by 9 a.m. The sun finally made an appearance and we enjoyed a beautiful morning cruise despite the chilly weather and arrived at our destination by noon.

We were all amazed at how great the staff was in the Dismal Swamp, but we were blown away by our welcome in Elizabeth City. They have a waterfront park with free docking for at least 12 boats
plus free docking at the Christian College and the fish market. The city docks are short finger docks and there are always volunteers around to help with lines. However, under certain conditions docking can be a challenge and the harbour is a little bumpy. We chose instead to tie along side at the college dock. We hadn't even finished securing the lines when the soccer coach stopped by and told us the showers in the gym were open for us to use. Then about 15 minutes later another boater stopped by and said someone had loaned her a car if we wanted to go the laundry mat. After lunch we headed out for the 40 minute walk to the grocery store, within a 1/4 of a mile someone gave us a ride right to the Food Lion.

It's nice to see how the communities all get involved to welcome transient boaters to their towns. All they ask in return is that if we have time, enjoy a meal in a local restaurant.

Today's picture is of part of the floatilla heading to Elizabeth City.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On