Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Running From Weather Again!

01 November 2018
When we awoke Wednesday morning we were greeted by a beautiful sunrise and relatively warm temperatures for the first time in awhile. We lingered over coffee and finally raised the anchor and got under way around 8 a.m. The first 15 miles of the day was down the Pungo Canal; with the exception of one turn it's as straight as an arrow, but at least it's much wider then the Dismal Swamp. Once clear of the canal we motored sailed the rest of the day in beautiful weather. The forecast called for winds overnight of 10-20 knots so we headed for a nice secure anchorage after travelling 55 nm. Turns out we weren't the only ones who liked the anchorage, by nightfall there were 14 boats seeking shelter from the forecasted winds which actually never materialized.

Thursday morning we were up before dawn to prepare for an early departure, destination Beaufort NC. As you all notice weather dictates our schedule and there is another blast coming through tonight and it will last until Saturday. We wanted to get to Beaufort early and get into a marina before the forecasted 25- 37 knot winds arrive later in the day. We managed to reserve a dock for 2 nights and with the help of a good tidal push arrived in Beaufort by 1p.m. Today was the warmest day so far, even Bev was in shorts and T shirt all day, hopefully this is just the beginning. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow but we'll use our time to give Dagny a good cleaning inside as well as tending to some mechanical maintenance.

Today's picture is for the fishermen who follow the blog. We saw lots of these local boats today, check the motor, it's a 100 hp and is right below the driver.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On