Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

The Waiting Game

10 December 2018
When we left Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday we had planned on going to No Name Harbour, which is a well protected anchorage on the south end of Key Biscayne. It is a very popular, well protected anchorage where everyone stages to leave for the Bahamas. Since the conditions haven't been favourable for east bound crossings for over a week the anchorage is packed. Instead of trying to cram ourselves in there we stopped at Stadium Key, which is the next Key north.

The bay here is shaped like a perfect U, 1/4 mile wide, a mile deep and open to the north west facing downtown Miami. Apparently they used to host powerboat races here, an 8,000 seat covered grandstand sits on the south shore of the bay and the surrounding park is now home to the Miami Boatshow. There are about a dozen derelict boats anchored here but there's a ton of room and great holding in 10' of water. However, the proximity to Miami can have it's drawbacks, the "Cuban Navy" from the city spends the weekends partying here.. Saturday afternoon was beautiful so the place was hopping, tons of seadoos, speedboats with unbelievable loud sound systems and even a float plane doing touch and goes. However, once darkness hit things quieted down to a dull roar.

It doesn't look there'll be a weather window for us to cross before Friday so in the mean time we'll keep ourselves busy checking out the area. We may move a little further south in a day or two just for a change of scenery, however, if we can figure out an easy way into Miami we may stay put. In the meantime we enjoyed a nice brisk 4 mile walk along a water front trail yesterday.

Today's picture explains why it was a brisk walk!
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On