Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

No Name Harbour

12 December 2018
With the weather still unfavourable for crossing the GulfStream we decided to relocate Tuesday 4 miles south to a place called No Name Harbour. This is a beautiful little park on the south end of Key Biscayne with a small harbour that offers good protection from all winds. We enjoyed a leisurely sail down in the morning while savouring our second coffee of the day and arrived off the harbour at 10:00. a.m. The only issue with this anchorage is it's popularity, realistically there is room for about a dozen boats to anchor with a decent amount of rode out. However, there are now 18 boats here and everyone is on a short rode to reduce swinging. Normally we would lay out 70' of chain for this water depth but today we only have out 45'. For the current conditions it's ok but our neighbours are close, so if the conditions change we'll probably head back up to Stadium Key Thursday.

In the meantime this is a great stop and it's only a mile walk to town. There is a nice wall down one side of the harbour where day trippers can tie up and picnic in the park overlooking the water. A small restaurant, complete with an outdoor terasse sits on the south end of the harbour offering a gathering spot for sailors. But probably the biggest draw for us is the laundry mat. There are always numerous chores to do when living on a boat for an extended period but finding accessible laundry mats is always a challenge. When cruisers exchange info on favorite stops one of the notes often made is the location of laundry mats. The one here is unique, it's located in a small washroom facility out on the end of a point overlooking Biscayne Bay.

It was cool again here last night but today is bright and sunny with a forecast high of 24c so we plan on exploring the neighbourhood. They claim the beach here is on the top ten list plus there's an historic lighthouse to visit. A walk to town will give us a chance to keep our provisions topped up so we're ready to shove off whenever the weather permits.

Today's picture is of the view we had of downtown Miami from Stadium Key.

Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On