Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Decisions, Decisions, or Not!

18 January 2019
Decisions, decisions, no one seems to be able to decide where to go over the next few days to hide from the incoming front. The main problem is the wind will go right around the clock in a 24 hour period making it virtually impossible to completely escape it. Since we still have a couple of days of nice weather we have spent it exploring the area.

We are anchored right in front of the old Maritime Research Center on Lee Stocking Island which has been closed since 2012. We received permission from the caretaker to go ashore and walk around the complex and explore the beautiful ocean front beach. At one time this was a very active center, there are at least 20 buildings serving various functions, ponds and aquariums for research and an airstrip for transportation. However, it's sad to see how much the infrastructure has deteriorated in such a short time, unfortunately helped along by vandals and hurricanes. Apparently a lady from Scotland has purchased the whole island but no one knows what the future holds for the area. My distant cousin Judy, the marine biologist, spent time here and happily informed us of all of the work that was carried out at the Center.

Late Thursday afternoon we headed off on another dinghy tour of Leaf Cay to see the pink Iquanas, this time I remembered to take my camera. After visiting the beach we went snorkeling at a few small coral heads in the area. It's amazing how vibrant these small heads can be and despite a strong current we all enjoyed the stop. Once we arrived back at the boats it was time for a quick fresh water shower before gathering for a sundowner and further weather analysis. And guess what, still no decision made, so we'll be here at least another day before moving on.

Today picture is of one of the pink iquanas.



Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On