Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Long Island

07 February 2019
The forecast for the next few days is for brisk to strong north east to east winds so we will be well protected along the coast of Long Island. We spent 2 hours Wednesday morning kayaking around the harbour and checking out some of the new beautiful homes that have been built here over the last couple of years. After lunch we wandered ashore for a tour of the area and found an amazing grocery store, great fresh produce and a good selection of most food products. There is a farmers market on Saturday morning that apparently is a must do as the Island Farmers arrive to sell their wares.

We still have a couple of days to explore before hunkering down as the strongest winds are only forecast to hit Saturday evening. The water in Thompson Bay is murky so we figured we would sail 20 miles north to Calabash and do some snorkeling. We are anchored 3 miles south of where Christopher Columbus apparently landed when he arrived in North America. Since leaving Georgetown we have been travelling with Val and Menno, who own "Eyre" a Lagoon 38. We had enjoyed a fantastic sail from Georgetown to Thompson Bay on Tuesday and today's sail was just as rewarding, 24 miles in 3 hours.

Tomorrow's plan is more exploring and snorkeling in the morning before we have to head back towards Thompson Bay later in the day. There is a BBQ fundraiser for the Opti Race Team Saturday that we want to attend so we can show our support for the junior sailors. This will give us a great chance to meet some of the locals and sample their Island hospitality.

Today's picture is of "Eyre" enroute to Thompson Bay.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On