Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

We’re A Sailboat Again

27 September 2022
Allan Gray
We have had a very busy but productive last two days. We cast off from the Mechanicville town dock at 6:50 Monday morning, coffee in hand, so we could catch the first opening at Lock 2. Thanks to the efficient lock masters we passed through the last two locks on the canal and cleared the federal lock at Troy by 9:30 am. We set our course for Catskills NY with hopes of getting the mast up by day’s end. After a four and a half hour run down the Hudson we arrived at Riverview Marina and managed to get the last open dock for the night. Although the day had started off clear and calm it eventually clouded over and the wind picked up to the point they had to quit stepping masts. Shortly after arriving a strong squall passed through, the heavy rain reduced the visibility to 300 yards but fortunately we were well protected in the marina. Once the weather cleared and a rainbow appeared we headed off to the market for some fresh fruit and vegetables.


The alarm went off early AGAIN this morning so we could finish preparing Dagny for our 8:00 appointment to step the mast. This was our sixth time either raising or lowering the mast here at Riverview and as usual it went very smoothly thanks to the competent staff. However, it was bitter sweet because we learned that they will be closing their doors this winter and the land has been sold to a condo developer. Mike has been a good friend over the years to countless boaters who have passed this way and his great service will be missed.


We had originally planned on leaving today but elected to stay and properly prepare and wash Dagny before heading downstream. We’re not sure what the next few days will bring since we’re waiting to see where Ian goes once he’s finished with Florida. We are thinking of heading to Kingston NY for a day or two and play it by ear from there; as soon as the weather cooperates we want to get down the Jersey shore. In the meantime we treated ourselves to a great Italian meal last night at a local restaurant as we slowly ease into our cruising routine.

Today’s picture is of the crew lowering Dagny’s mast through the deck.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On