Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Making Progress

24 October 2022
Allan Gray
We awoke Friday morning to absolutely no wind, calm seas, and a heavy dew had covered the boat making it difficult to see through the dodger windows. Once the first coffees were poured and the motor warmed up we bundled up for the +5c temperature outside and prepared to hoist the anchor. The Naval Academy played Reveille one last time for us as we motored out of the harbour and pointed Dagny's bow south once more. We haven't had the best luck with winds on Chesapeake Bay and so it was we motored all day in brilliant sunshine before dropping the hook in Mill Creek in Solomons Island. We have anchored here before in this beautiful creek surrounded by nice homes while being completely protected from any wind.

After a great night's sleep, Saturday was a repeat of Friday, up early, coffee, clean the windows and set off for another day of motoring in flat water. We arrived in Deltaville at dead low tide, this was our first visit to this harbour and boy is it narrow and shallow. The marina had assigned us a slip that was a little hard to find, but once we figured it out we were all set to dock with the help of a few locals. The advice was to stick close to a line of boats before turning into our slip, the only problem was we were already sitting in a mud bank. As one gentleman suggested not to stray to the right it was shallow, Bev advised him it was too late we were already stuck in the mud. Luckily for us we were blocking access to the power boat dock so the first guy who came along had to tow us off so he could get to his own slip. The Chesapeake mud is a very soft black goop that just holds the keel like quick sand, once free we squeezed into our slip for the night.

The best part of arriving here was our good friends from Arnprior on 2 Outrageous are here preparing their boat to return to the Bahamas this winter. Their boat has been stuck here since April of 2020 because of Covid lockdowns. It was great to see them again and catch up with each other while making plans for this winter. It never ceases to amaze us when and where we come across a familiar boat. In 2018 while hold up at the Dismal Swamp welcome Center for 3 days as a wicked cold front blew through, we were rafted to a boat called Paperbird. Yep, you guessed it they're here too and we had a brief chance to chat with them this morning.

Our short haul was scheduled for 9 a.m. Monday so we could reinstall our newly refurbished feathering propellor. Dagny was hanging in the slings, for the 7th time this year, by 8:50 and the prop was off in short order. However, the threads on the shaft were damaged a bit during removal so after an hour or so of hard filing we were all set to install the Max Prop and get on our way. We have moved about 8 miles to an anchorage that will give us an easy out in the morning as we strike off for Norfolk VA., mile "0" of the ICW. Our friends on Sandbox are anchored beside us and the plan is anchors up at 7:30 Tuesday morning.

Today's picture is not a great shot but it shows how close the dinghy's were to our stern in Annapolis, actually I pulled our dinghy in once or twice so a team wouldn't have to tack.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On