Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

A Few Days in Paradise.

21 December 2022
Allan Gray
Although we've had a few wind delays the weather has been warm and sunny everyday allowing us to slip into our daily Bahamian routine. Our 2 days at Shroud Cay were spent exploring the numerous canals that wind through the mangroves before emptying out into the ocean. This area is all part of the Exuma Land and Sea Park which is the oldest of its kind in the world and fishing is strictly prohibited within it's boundaries. As we meandered through the canals we marvelled at the speed of the turtles that darted away as we approached. After 2 relaxing days in the quiet anchorage we decided to move on to Staniel Cay for a change of scenery before the anchorage filled up with mega yachts that would be arriving for the Christmas Holidays. We had an unexpected treat during happy hour on our last evening at Shroud, Lana spotted something fast moving in the sky and it turned out to be the latest Space X rocket launch. We had great view as the setting sun reflected off the rocket and we could actually see the booster separate from the capsule.

Unfortunately, when we left Shroud Cay the wind was right on the nose so we decided to motor to Staniel Cay; being the weekend before Christmas we expected the anchorage to be full and wanted to arrive early. However, to our surprise it was almost empty! It seems strange as we have seen so many boats on the move this fall but we don't know where everyone has gone. But we're not complaining, it's nice having the pick of where to anchor with lots of swing room. Our friends on Sandbox are with us for now and while Robert works Bev and I are in charge of chaperoning Lana. One thing about the cruising life there's always something in need of repair on a boat, as it turns out Sandbox is having battery issues so we have loaned them our generator for a few days until they hopefully solve their issues.

After more then 2 weeks it was time to do laundry, even though we're living in bathing suits most of the time things were piling up. So, it was time to haul the anchor and head to Blackpoint and the famous Rockside laundry. This past winter I had rigged Dagny with an inner forestay and a staysail for heavy weather sailing and it was time to test it. We left Staniel Cay in only 10-12 knots of breeze but it was perfect conditions to test the setup which also included running backstays for added rig stability. All in all we're very pleased with how the boat sailed in light winds and after a relaxing 2 hour sail dropped the hook in Blackpoint. We're not sure of our plans for the next few days but we could be here until Christmas as other friends arrive for the festivities.

One story we forgot to relate about our time in Nassau was the fact we were boarded by the Maritime Police. We were having our morning coffee when they came alongside and asked if we had been boarded before because they wanted to check our papers. When we replied we hadn't they asked permission to come aboard for an inspection. It's hard to refuse a guy who's carrying an M16 so we invited him to join us once he confirmed that we didn't have any weapons. They were extremely polite while they checked all our documents, although we held our breath every time the officer moved in case he tripped and the gun went off.

Today's picture is of Dagny at anchor in front of the Rockside Laundry.

Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On