Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

The Calm After The Storm

19 January 2023
Allan Gray
After a much needed solid sleep we crawled out of bed around 8 a.m. Sunday morning and settled into the cockpit to watch the anchorage come to life after the storm. Over fresh coffee we saw the first dinghy runs to shore ferrying in the dogs who had been boat bound for a couple of days. There was a relaxed atmosphere throughout the anchorage as people checked over their boats and visited with neighbours to trade stories about their experiences. We looked forward to a quiet day with light north winds and plans were made for a happy hour on the beach with our neighbours. However, a change in wind direction allowed the ocean surge to roll through the anchorage creating very uncomfortable conditions. By mid afternoon we had had enough and decided to bail, we needed to get out at high tide so we decided to haul the anchor and get out while the getting was good.

Once clear of the shallow bars we needed to transit we set sail for Staniel Cay and had a great 10 mile downwind run under clear skies. As always fresh supplies are hard to come by but this time we lucked out as the Mailboat had been in early Monday morning and all the stores were stocked with fresh produce. There are 3 small grocery stores in town so our morning was spent poking through the various shops. After a successful morning ashore it was time to head back to the boat and get in some beach time before the sunset on another beautiful day. Sandbox had arrived after riding out the storm in Rudder Cay so after an early dinner we joined them aboard to trade stories about the previous few days. Of course a marbles game was on tap as Robert and I sought to redeem ourselves from the previous games. However, Lady luck was not on our side and we went down to defeat, but we did get our revenge two days later.

We have noticed this trip that more people seem to be content to sit and enjoy an area rather then try and visit lots of different cays. Aboard Dagny we have adopted the same attitude of stopping and smelling the roses. We try to change anchorages only when the sailing conditions are favourable or we are in need of supplies. This approach has really allowed us to relax with friends and enjoy this sailor's paradise. However, there are always are few chores to do and minor maintenance jobs to take care off. The main jobs this week were changing the Joker Valve on the head and servicing my beer can crusher. Laugh as you may, with no recycling in the islands garbage disposal is always an issue. I had bought a beer can crusher from Amazon before leaving home but it doesn't seem to like the salt air, nothing a little PB blaster can't fix.

Today's picture is of the moon rise poking through the clouds over White Bay.

Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On