Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Cat Island

28 January 2023
Allan Gray
We've had a busy few days in Cat Island and the weather has been wonderful everyday. As is the norm, the first full day in the anchorage was spent doing laundry, house cleaning and groceries. There is well stocked grocery store just a short dinghy ride and walk from the anchorage, it had been over 2 weeks since we had been to Georgetown and the fridge was getting empty. We were pleasantly surprised with the variety and freshness of the produce and left with a full shopping cart. The final chore of the day was filling the propane tank then we rewarded ourselves with a great fresh conch salad from Duke's Beachside stand.

There are 6 boats in the group we joined and sailed with from Lee Stocking Island. They all have been friends for a number of years and have graciously included us in their daily activities. Robin who is from "Cookie Monster" is the activities director of the group and she has kept us busy everyday. From hikes to various points of interest on the island, turtle watching dinghy rides and beach bocce ball there is never a dull moment. Although we have snorkeled a bit a few shark sightings including an eight foot hammerhead have made us a little wary to say the least

It is approximately 4 miles between the communities of Old Bight and New Bight, we spent the first 2 days at New Bight where the services are closer to the anchorage. However, once everyone had resupplied the floatilla moved over and anchored off a small resort in Old Bight. The winds were light so we decided to motor the short distance so we could make hot water at the same time. As soon as we dropped the anchor Bev noticed that a pump was running somewhere only to discover it was our fresh water pump. As a precaution we always turn it off when travelling because you can't hear it from the cockpit with the motor running. Well we hadn't bothered because we were washing on the way over but as Murphy's Law says if it can it will. And it did, a water line came disconnected and drained one 35 gallon tank into the bilge. Of course the leak was in a very hard to reach spot but once we located it I was relieved to discover that a loose clamp had allowed the a hose to separate. Although it necessitated removing the table so I could reach the clamp at least it was an easy fix. Thankfully two of the boats gave us water to replenish what we lost and we were back in business.

Robin and her husband Corbett have been friends of the resort owners for years and always make sure to stop in for a few days. The Rollezz Resort is a very quaint beachside resort with 9 cottages and a beautiful little dining area plus beach front hut. We are encouraged to use the beach where we stage our daily bocce ball tournaments or just hang out. Robin organized a dinner for us in the dining room one night and 14 of us dinghied in for a fantastic 5 course dinner. It was an interesting sight to see 14 well dressed people arrive by dinghy, hike up shorts and skirts and wade ashore barefoot. There's a foot bath outside the front door to wash off the sand prior to entering the self serve bar where your drink tally is recorded on a pad on the bar. Following a scrumptious dinner the act was repeated and the barefooted crowd returned to the beach for a bonfire. Laurie from 2 Outrageous serenaded us with her guitar and her lovely voice before we returned to our perspective boats. The following evening we were once again invited ashore this time the dining room was our games room, the resort owner and a friend joined us in rowdy games of Sequence while another group played Sevens. This has truly been a unique experience that we will remember for a longtime.

A couple of the group are getting restless and plans are being worked on for their next adventure, however Bev and I will be heading back to the Exumas. The wind forecasts for the next few days are good but we need to hit a tide window to get through Rudder Cut. Monday looks like the best day to travel so in the meantime there's a potluck supper planned for tonight followed by more games.

Today's picture is of the original bell from the Anglican Church that opened in 1822 in Old Bight.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On