Dagny's Winter Cruise

18 September 2023
14 September 2023
09 September 2023
09 September 2023
06 September 2023
06 September 2023
02 September 2023
29 August 2023
29 August 2023
23 August 2023
11 August 2023
05 August 2023
31 July 2023
28 July 2023
22 July 2023
20 July 2023

Full Relaxation Mode

20 February 2023
Allan Gray
Ever since Lesley's departure we have found ourselves in full scale relaxation mode this past week. We had planned on leaving Staniel Cay on Thursday morning but as we lingered over coffee we asked ourselves, what's the rush? So we stretched out and watched the morning activities around the anchorage, it's time like this that the simple things keep us entertained. It is fun playing armchair quarterback as we watch people's many different ways to deploy and retrieve anchors. Being dog lovers the sight of a dinghy roaring by with a dog perched in the bow anxiously heading to shore always puts a smile on our faces. Finally, after an extra day at Staniel it was time to move on before the anchor grew into the bottom.

I had wanted to use our new staysail again and tinker with the equipment that had been added last year and the 15 -20 knot breeze on Thursday was the perfect opportunity. We left the anchorage under reefed main bound for Blackpoint and as we rounded Harvey's Cay the wind increased to 23 knots, a perfect test for the staysail. We were pleased with the performance of the sail and the reduced loads on the auto pilot which is an important factor during long passages. After a sporty sail we arrived in Blackpoint, dropped the hook and settled in for a few days.

You guessed it of course, Blackpoint equals laundry so that was first on the list. However, we spent the next couple of days either hiking,
kayaking, swimming or meeting new people at Scorpio's happy hour. Once again we decided we weren't going anywhere unless we had favourable winds so after a delightfully weekend Monday morning dawned sunny with a perfect 10 knot breeze to carry us the 17 miles to Rudder Cay. We did have to motor through a couple of narrow stretches near the anchorage but it had been another beautiful sail. However, we were surprised to see so many boats (21) in the anchorage, normally this time of year there would be a half dozen or so. Actually there are boats everywhere this year making it harder to find a secluded spot. We plan on heading to Lee Stocking Island tomorrow for a week or so as we look for a weather window to cross back over to Cat Island. With any luck maybe Bev will catch a fish, she's due for her luck to change and the freezer is getting empty.

Today's picture is of a couple of interesting rocks during low tide at Rudder Cay
Comments
Vessel Name: Dagny
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 402
Hailing Port: South Lancaster On
Crew: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
About: Allan is a retired Montreal Air Traffic Controller and Bev is a retired Elementary School Principal.
Extra: After many years of local cruising and Etchells racing we are living our dream of sailing to the Bahamas. Allan enjoys golfing, cycling and skiing. Bev is an active cyclist, runner, aerobics participant and cross country skier.

Who: Allan Gray and Bev Bethune
Port: South Lancaster On