Dance Aweigh

12 June 2009 | Smokehouse Bay, Marco Island, FL.
08 June 2009 | Key West
08 June 2009 | Key West, Fl.
08 June 2009 | Key West, Fl.
08 June 2009 | Key West, Fl.
07 June 2009 | Marathon to Key West
07 June 2009 | Marathon to Key West
06 June 2009 | Hawk Channel, Florida Keys
05 June 2009 | Rodriguez Key
03 June 2009 | No Name Harbor, Miami
02 June 2009 | Toungue of the Ocean, Bahamas
01 June 2009 | Frazer's Hog Cay, Berry Islands
31 May 2009 | Nassau
31 May 2009 | Nassau
31 May 2009 | Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas
28 May 2009 | Nassau
26 May 2009 | Harbor Island, Eleuthera
26 May 2009 | Atlantic
25 May 2009 | Little Harbor, Abaco
24 May 2009 | Hope Town Harbor, Abacos

Ignorance is Bliss

28 May 2009 | Nassau
RFE
We were in a cab returning to the dinghy dock when it hit. One hell of a squall. Tearing wind & rain. We'd been touring (great view from Fort Fincastle) & grocery shopping (also got honey BBQ wings from KFC). Took the cab forever to get back to the dock. When we got there, there was no sign of Grendel or Dance Aweigh in the harbor!!!!!! Then we saw Grendel - alongside a sailcat. Still no sign of Dance Aweigh. Herm jumped into his dinghy, I into mine. The girls guarded the groceries. Most of the boats in Nassau Harbor had dragged anchor. Those with crew aboard had retained control. Those without crew???? Herm headed for Grendel, I took off toward the bridges. When I found her, Dance Aweigh was being rescued by the crew of Wandering Star - another Endeavour sail boat in the harbor. John Shannon, his wife Sabrina & their son were aboard their boat near Dance Aweigh when the storm hit. Their boat dragged but they retained control. They saw Dance Aweigh & Grendel hit each other. Grendel ended up "captured" by a nearby catamaran. Dance Aweigh was swept toward 2 cargo ships near the bridges. John says that the wind changed at the last minute, sending Dance Aweigh toward a low span of the bridge where it would have been dis-masted. As soon as they could, John & his son jumped into their dinghy, half filled with water from the downpour, & raced to Dance Aweigh. John jumped aboard but without a key, etc, could not drive her to safety. Luckily, the anchor caught & stopped her from hitting the bridge or some commercial fishing boats docked nearby. When I got there, our rudder was caught in the fishing boats' mooring line. With the help of John & his son , we kedged her off & re-anchored. Meanwhile Herm extricated Grendel from the catamaran & re-anchored. Dance Aweigh suffered minor damage to the rub rails, while Grendel sustained some damage to the cap rail, while losing its flagstaff & American flag as well as the man overboard ring, etc. Bottom line: we're both still afloat & looking good. Big thank you to Wandering Star for their efforts to save Dance Aweigh. Hope we get to have a rum with you guys. When we all settled down, the queen & I brought our honey BBQ wings to Grendel, where Fran added a bunch of goodies & we celebrated our survival with a rum or two. In Nassau Harbor, the boats swing (& set anchor) based on the tidal current, which changes 180 degrees every 6 hours. When the storm hit, the wind over-powered the tidal current so rapidly that the anchors were unable to re-set in the new direction, allowing the boats to be swept away. By the way, the honey BBQ wings are the best!
Comments
Vessel Name: Dance Aweigh
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Endeavour 40 sloop
Hailing Port: Marco Island, FL
Crew: Margaret & Rich
About:
Margaret & Rich were power boaters 'till a few years ago, when we got the urge to cruise in a sailboat. We studied like crazy, took an intensive week of training on a Morgan 46 in the BVI, & bought an Endeavour 40 sloop in 2005. [...]
Extra:
2008 saw Dance Aweigh in the Bahamas again. Our new ham radio was a big success, allowing us to send & receive email, & to download GRIB files when not in range of WiFi. The weather was fantastic & we covered a lot of ground, including Bimini, Nassau, Eleuthera, Cat Island, Conception, Long [...]

Dance Aweigh

Who: Margaret & Rich
Port: Marco Island, FL