Dancing on the Edge

A New Boat, Boatyards, and The Bay

January 23-June 18, 2020

What a year! We bought a different Island Packet, sold our other IP, and spent the winter in freezing temperatures. Just to keep it lively, we endured COVID. Hurry up 2021. I’m totally done with 2020!

We moved aboard our new vessel in January. What a change—the center cockpit and 5 more feet make us feel like we live in a ballroom. We grumbled as unexpected maintenance gremlins appeared. Boat bucks flew through the companionway. We shivered and complained as winter winds blew. We self isolated as COVID gripped the world. Oriental, a village of about 900, was our safe haven. With signs of spring, we made a few trips to test our boat systems in the Neuse River. We socially distanced with friends--as we ventured to Cape Lookout Bight. The anchorage surrounded by white sand and the diamond lighthouse lifted our spirits. In early June, we cast off our lines. We waved goodbye to our charming friends in Oriental and to Deaton’s Yacht Service. We promised to return.

Cliff, our friend on Navigator, joined Dan and I as we departed for Annapolis. We planned to visit several communities while observing COVID guidelines. We anchor under the Ocracoke Light. We fondly remember wonderful family vacations. We travel through Pamlico Sound and the Old House Channel. The iconic Hatteras Light sits about 10 miles from Oregon Inlet and the new Bonner Bridge over the ever-changing channel. Docking along the city docks at Manteo in 30 knot winds was quite a challenge. The temporary dock master did not know how to tie a knot! North wind and rain arrived as we departed for the Virginia Cut. Osprey parents squawk to warn us away from the young. Fancy pants motorboats roar past us on the way to Mile Marker 0—Norfolk. We motor past the military installations into the Southern Chesapeake. Deltaville is a lovely stop with beautiful scenery. The winds and rain continue to blow from the North. We reach Windmill Point Light, near the mouth of the Potomac. We motored into the winds and the Chesapeake’s choppy rollers at the mouth of the river. The skies clear as we reached Solomon’s Island, Maryland. We shared celebratory drinks as we reminisced about our travels together in the Bahamas and the Eastern Caribbean.

Good winds and sunshine appeared for the final leg of the passage. After 6 1/2 years we pass Thomas Point Light as we return to Annapolis. We watch the activity in Spa Creek and the Wednesday Night races. Lights brighten the skyline of the city as we enjoy a week on a mooring ball. We walk early in the morning. With COVID infections fluctuating everywhere, we continued to strictly adhere to CDC guidelines. We create new memories on Dancing on the Edge.














Comments