Dancing on the Edge

Bouncing around Biscayne Bay

January 5 – 23, 2021

We miss breeze coming through the hatches as the bow orients to the wind. We miss gentle rocking to sleep. We miss launching the dinghy for trips ashore. We miss the independence of living on the hook. It seems incongruous to find quiet anchorages in Biscayne Bay near the hustle and bustle of Miami. I mean when you enter the Port of Miami from offshore, you traverse Fisherman’s Channel. There are a few berthed cruise ships and cranes unload container ships. Go fast boats, big fishing boats and personal watercraft scream by as they return to the enormous Miami Beach Marina.

We loved the clearance of William Powell Bridge span, aka the Rickenbacker Causeway, to an anchorage SW of Virginia Key. We dinghied to Crandon Park and to Marine Stadium. We did the drive by tour since we found no secure places to leave a dinghy. Both anchorages and mooring fields were filled with boats that appeared abandoned. Weekend warriors stirred up the water as they roared to Crandon Park for fuel. Large charter yachts anchored so the guests could play with the toys. Kite boarders with foils entertained us. In our huge anchorage, we watched as Wabash began to drag toward us. The alert crew quickly reset. No harm, no foul. Dragging happens to everyone! The three anchored sailboats rocked in the gentle breeze. We loved the magical night skyline.

We wanted a change of scenery. We headed to the Dinner Key mooring field near Coral Gables. We were disappointed that the field and anchorage appeared to be filled with vessels appeared unoccupied or abandoned.

We moved to the manmade Venetian Islands. Located just south of the Venetian Causeway, these islands are lined with homes in every imaginable architectural style. We dropped the hook near Belle Isle. Flagler Monument Island, with its memorial to Henry Flagler, was lovely in the evening light. Tall condominium buildings were mostly unlighted. There are few dinghy docks for visitors or cruisers to use in Key Biscayne. The ride up the Collins Canal ride to the dinghy dock by the grocery markets was fun. We walked down Lincoln Road past the restaurants and shops. The vibe in the anchorage entertained us as we spotted small runabouts and go fast boats obeying the speed limit. We did not enjoy the PWCs!

We moved to Star Island, known for famous residents, to escape the PWC races. We anchored in shallow water, with a view of a few berthed cruise ships. But it’s Miami! Daily tour boats motored by and day charters dropped their hooks. Ear shattering music accompanied eye popping bathing suit fashion show visions. We peeked behind the hedges and gates at the eclectic homes on dinghy rides.

We passed large homes and several lovely anchorages along Key Biscayne toward No Name Harbor. Monohulls, catamarans and trawlers anchored along the Cape Florida Channel to stage for their next transit. There were only about three houses left in Stiltsville. The sunset was glorious. We felt at home. However, it was still Biscayne Bay. Before dawn fishing boats roared by on the way to the Gulf Stream. A parade of vessels filled us with envy as bows point toward the Bahamas. We headed to Marathon to land travel for vaccinations.





Comments