Dancing on the Edge

It's Transit Day One!

November 16-17, 2021

Photo courtesy of Ellen Hall

Dan, Greg, and Harry prepared Dancing on the Edge for our handline transit. Eight fenders and four 125 ft. heavy lines that were almost 1 in. in diameter arrived. Ellen, Liz Ann and I completed other chores. I checked and re checked the meals for the passage. We practiced our knots and line tosses. We checked and re checked the engine, the freezer, the snack supply, the fuel, and the celebratory champagne.

Our first advisor, Jose, boarded at the New Flats anchorage about 3:15 pm. Our lockage would be center chamber. Center chamber lockage means that lines on the four "corners" of the boat are secured to bollards on the wall of the chamber. The boat is held in the middle of the lock by the line handlers. As the locks fill or empty, line handlers tighten or loosen the tension to keep the vessel centered in the lock. Rain and clouds passed over and around as we traveled under the Atlantic Bridge. Dan motored Dancing on the Edge tpward the Gatun Locks.

Our lock mate, the lightly loaded cargo ship, Navigare Boreas at 200m (656 ft) long, 32m (105 ft) beam, 6.8m (22 ft) draught, entered the chamber in front of us. The currents whipped and swirled as the ship threw a huge prop wash. The Panama Canal employees redressed our inattentive advisor. Captain Dan skillfully kept us off the wall as we worked the lines to center the boat in the lock. There are more problems and accidents on hand line vessels when the vessels are "locking up." Let's just say our entry into the first lock was not pretty!

We exited the first of three locks about 5:30pm. Everyone felt very tense and quite anxious about the next two locks as darkness fell. Currents on the port side pushed and pulled at Dancing on the Edge. Harry and Liz Ann had a tough job keeping their lines tensioned correctly. We stood tall, tightened our lines, and adjusted "our sails" for an hour and a half. We rose a total of 84 ft. above sea level.

Unfortunately, our adventures were not over. Our advisor did not have coordinates for the new location of the sea buoys. We motored around in the dark with flashlights and headlamps for nearly forty-five minutes. Thai chicken and one glass of wine after the 5 hour trip tasted so good.
Three locks accomplished; three locks to go!








Comments