Danube Delta

The Danube Delta is Unique in the Europe. With its diverse fauna and geographic position Danube Delta is an amazing place to visit.

23 October 2009 | Romania
23 October 2009 | Romania
04 September 2009 | Danube Delta
04 September 2009 | Romania
27 May 2009 | Romania
04 May 2009 | Danube Delta
04 January 2009 | Danube Delta
04 September 2008 | Romania
04 August 2008 | Ionic

Description of the Danube Delta

04 September 2009 | Romania
I promised that I would talk about Delta. This area protected by several national and international bodies. A reservation is unique in Europe and spread over an area of over 2500 kilometers square. Total area increased annually due to silt deposited. It is included in UNESCO heritage 19 years, as part of the earth's biosphere.

This land has over 1,200 species of trees and plants, the richest ornithological fauna of Europe (300 species), among which unique colonies of pelicans, and the rich fauna ichthyological fauna (100 species).

Danube Delta there are about 20,000 people, most of the fishermen. In recent years, the dry landscape has changed a lot, grabbing hostels and hotels everywhere.

As you can see and the photos, there are much reed, bulrush, sedge, willow, lilies. Specifically, 78% of the Danube delta area is covered by these types of plants.

Mr. Stamate, our host, told us about "plaur", which I did not know. It is a mixture of reeds and roots of aquatic plants which move as a real floating islands. And you can go through each day, that at some point to see that you can not reach the other side, because the road is blocked by floating.


Important figures:
- The existence of aquatic fauna in the Danube Delta is 98% of its total from all over Europe!

- Birds living in the Danube Delta is 81% of all birds in Romania!

- Aquatic birds living in the Danube Delta is 82% of all aquatic birds in Europe!

- Animal species in forest Letea represent over 70% of animal species in the Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve!

We have not been able to visit and beam Letea forest, because it was very far from where we stayed, but I know that is the northernmost subtropical forests of Europe.

Letea forest are found in 500 species of plants and over 3,000 animal species, including more than 2,000 are insects. Several hundred wild horses live in the forest and the meadows Letea its surroundings. In 1930, some Letea forest was put under protection, and in 1938 became a nature reserve. In 1980, Forest Letea was declared a Biosphere Reserve, while ten years later was included as a strictly protected area in DDBR.
Vessel Name: Pigeon
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/danube/