Adventures of S/V Adoncia

13 August 2013 | Ketchikan
12 August 2013 | Anan Bay
11 August 2013 | Berg Bay
10 August 2013 | Berg Bay
09 August 2013 | St. John's Bay
08 August 2013 | Petersburg
07 August 2013 | Petersburg
06 August 2013 | Sandborn Canal
05 August 2013 | Sandborn Canal
04 August 2013 | Tracey Arm
03 August 2013 | Holkam Bay
02 August 2013 | Pybus Bay
01 August 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
31 July 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
30 July 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
29 July 2013 | Warm Springs Bay
28 July 2013 | Red Bluff Bay
27 July 2013 | Red Bluff Bay
26 July 2013 | Kake/Red Bluff Bay
25 July 2013 | Rocky Pass Anchorage

Grizzly Over For Dinner

27 July 2013 | Red Bluff Bay
John/Sunny!!!
This morning we awoke to sunshine again in this fantastic location and decided that we are going to stay here at least 3 nights whether the others are moving on or not. So today we shrimped - NOT successfully - then just chilled. 7 of us kayaked right up to this huge waterfall that is crashing down the rocks from some 1000 feet up the cliffs. We got close enough to get thoroughly soaked and we were playing with the current coming out from the bottom of the waterfall as if it were rapids in a river. That was pretty cool. Then we read in the cockpit and out on the bow in the hammock, dried some wet stuff off on the life lines in the sun and just marveled at the sights around us. Tonight KO and Allen invited us over for dinner on Jak. They put together an awesome seafood chowder with clams, muscles, prawns, potatoes and other veggies. The seafood was all collected or caught today. This was preceded by smoked salmon, cream cheese and cracker appetizers and followed up by brownies made by Deb this afternoon. To top all this off a grizzly sighting was announced by Hal (who else!) over the VHF just as the last brownie went down and so Allen, Deb and I jumped into our dingy and went in for a closer look. We watched for 1/2 hour as these two awesome grizzlies walked along the beach and occasionally went out into the water to check for salmon. We took several photos and videos of these beautiful animals. It was by far the best bear sightings Deb and I have had yet. All in all it has been a 10 out of 10 day with the topper being dinner on Jak followed by the grizzles.
Comments
Vessel Name: Adoncia
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 41DS
Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, Washington
Crew: Deb and John
About: John was born in England and Deb was born in Seattle. They were both raised in Tacoma and make their home in Gig Harbor. They each retired in March of 2013 and look forward to many sailing and snow skiing adventures together. They purchased their 41 foot Hunter deck-salon style sloop in 2011.
Extra: Nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people (M Twain)

Who: Deb and John
Port: Gig Harbor, Washington