Adventures of S/V Adoncia

13 August 2013 | Ketchikan
12 August 2013 | Anan Bay
11 August 2013 | Berg Bay
10 August 2013 | Berg Bay
09 August 2013 | St. John's Bay
08 August 2013 | Petersburg
07 August 2013 | Petersburg
06 August 2013 | Sandborn Canal
05 August 2013 | Sandborn Canal
04 August 2013 | Tracey Arm
03 August 2013 | Holkam Bay
02 August 2013 | Pybus Bay
01 August 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
31 July 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
30 July 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
29 July 2013 | Warm Springs Bay
28 July 2013 | Red Bluff Bay
27 July 2013 | Red Bluff Bay
26 July 2013 | Kake/Red Bluff Bay
25 July 2013 | Rocky Pass Anchorage

Yet One More Smoke Camp

30 July 2013 | Warm Spring Bay
John/Sunny!!!
Today was another perfect day in Alaska. We were bathed in blue sky, sun and hot weather from the minute we awoke until the sun settled behind the Baranof mountains in the evening. The morning started by Jim negotiating with boaters along the dock, finding out who was leaving when, who would not mind moving forward or backwards, who wouldn't mind rafting for a short bit while we moved this boat here and that boat there. That man has many qualities, one of which is excellent people skills. People are just attracted to him - by his manner and interest in their lives and his willingness to drop everything to help them out. In any event, he had it all worked out and over the next 1-2 hours we left Jak and were directed into a tight little space on the dock between Jay Hawk (with Good Vibrations rafted to her) and a large power boat in front - there was lots of help on the dock but I must say, we did pretty well with the small space we had to negotiate with that docking. Then a spot was found for Jak in front of us after a couple of power boats had left and eventually a spot was found for We Be Jammin in front of Jak. Later in the afternoon Happy Dance (who had stayed behind in Red Bluff for an extra day) arrived and rafted alongside us. Much of the day centered around getting ready for the big salmon smoke that night. Alder poles had to be found, cut down and stripped to hang the salmon. Wood had to be scavenged for the fires. This was a cumbersome process since there was no wood nearby and we had to take a couple of dinghies outside the bay and locate wood on rocky beaches. The wood had to be brought down to the shore, piled on the dinghies and lashed down for the trip back to the dock. As has been mentioned before, making a salmon smoking area - all the preparation, all the attention to the salmon as they are cooking and the length of time this all takes - is a lot of work. But, as before, it all culminates in a great potluck feast at the smoker site and tonight was no exception. We had a wonderful time with many laughs, guitar and banjo music with singing, swing dancing (as demonstrated by Allen and Molly), good food but the topper is that smoked salmon which tastes so good. Everyone should sleep well tonight!
Comments
Vessel Name: Adoncia
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 41DS
Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, Washington
Crew: Deb and John
About: John was born in England and Deb was born in Seattle. They were both raised in Tacoma and make their home in Gig Harbor. They each retired in March of 2013 and look forward to many sailing and snow skiing adventures together. They purchased their 41 foot Hunter deck-salon style sloop in 2011.
Extra: Nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people (M Twain)

Who: Deb and John
Port: Gig Harbor, Washington