Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Budva - town of Venetian origin, lively resort

29 July 2010
Cruising Montenegro is really done in two halves; the northern half exploring the Boka Kotorska and the southern second half trying to find a suitable anchorage along the exposed and lively coastline.

After a week exploring the Boka Kotorska and really enjoying our visit to Montenegro we headed south to see what the rest of the coast had to offer. It wasn't easy to find a sheltered anchorage due to the exposed coastline, open to the Adriatic sea but the island of St. Nicolas just opposite Budva provided us with both a safe anchorage and the opportunity to visit the old town (Stari Grad) of Venetian origin. The town has a long and rich history which is reflected in the buildings and monuments all around. We visited the Citadel and were amazed to find it contained a library of books all covering the history of the Balkan area, predominantly in English language.

The town is apparently the most visited tourist destination in Montenegro and has gained a cult reputation for it's nightlife with Madonna, the Rolling Stones and Lenny Kravitz all performing there on the beach during the annual Live Music Festival. We didn't hear of any stars performing on the couple of nights we spent there but the music from the nightclubs was enough to give us an idea of what it was like! We were quite pleased that most of the younger visitors did decide to dance the night and mornings away because it meant that the jetskiing didn't start until around midday, so at least we had quiet mornings. We got the impression that water sport safety does not exist in Montenegro, as both jetskiers and motor boat owners race around a high speed, very close to swimmers and yachts at anchor!

Next stop is the town of Bar, where we will check-out of Montenegro before an overnight journey to Corfu in Greece where friends Terry & Sue are meeting up with us.

CRUISERS NOTES
Budva has all amenities
Fuel cost 1.11 euros/litre which seems to be the same everywhere in Montenegro
We didn't find any suitable overnight anchorages between Budva and Canj. Between Canj & Sutomore is a great bay that is not in the pilot book so don't know name. Bottom has several big boulders.


Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK