Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Cowboys and line dancing – in Sicily!!

04 November 2012
While sipping a glass of wine in the marina café yesterday lunchtime, a poster stuck to a wall caught our eye; Ranch Dallas - a wild-west night with entertainment was being held in the next town that evening. So, with a bunch of friends, we set off into the Sicilian countryside to find out what it was all about.

Thank goodness we had a sat nav to get us there because it really was in the middle of nowhere, yet only 15 minutes away. We walked through the entrance to be greeted by the smell of the BBQ, a performance stage proudly flying the USA and Confederate flags and lots of people wearing cowboy boots, blue jeans with big, shining buckles and traditional cowboy hats. Luckily, most of us were wearing jeans and checked shirts and by the end of the evening Ni had also bought a cowboy hat so we fitted in just perfectly.

After our Cowboys Plate of grilled meats, beans and vegetables, all washed down with pitchers of lager, or cola in my case as they ran out of red wine (in Sicily!!!) after just one glass, we moved outside to watch the Etna Country Style line dance group strut their stuff whilst the band played country-style. It wasn’t long before we all joined in for a group lesson and in no time at all we were moving in time to Achy Breaky Heart with our heels, toes and hands tapping away.

We had a great evening and look forward to the next one. 24 hours later, we still can’t believe that we were line dancing with cowboys and cow girls in Sicily last night!
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK