Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Montpellier – magnifique!

16 March 2013
Easily visited on foot, the historical medieval centre of Montpellier transported us back to Paris – right down to their very own Arc de Triomphe, located at the site of one of the old entrances in the ramparts of the city! This is no surprise when you find out that the city was remodelled at the end of the 19th century incorporating lots of the ideas that Baron Hausmann had also used in Paris.

We spent a wonderful afternoon exploring the city on foot, although the tramway would have done just as good, passing the conservatory where the musicians inside played beautifully, and then stumbling upon many artisan shops where clothes and textile designers displayed their wares. We certainly got the feeling that at its heart, it is a creative city.

In the centre of the Peyrou Royal Promenade, a grand statue of Louis XIV seated upon his horse takes pride of place as he oversees his city and its aqueduct. Head to Place de la Comedie, a pedestrianised square, to see the Opera Comedie theatre built in 1888. The square is a great meeting place, surrounded by restaurants and shops.

Montpellier is definitely worth a visit and is a perfect spot from which to explore the camargue region of the south coast.
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK