Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Life on Leros

15 July 2013
Of all the islands in the Dodecanese to spend a length of time on due to Chris's knee operation, Leros has to be one of the best. It is laid back, has some beautiful swimming spots, lots of welcoming and relaxing cafes, not a lot of tourists and is crowned by Pandeli Castle too - what more could we wish for!

There are two ports; Lakki, which is the more commercial one and the picturesque port of Agia Marina. The capital is Platanos, which is really just a small town, with a central square and lots of colourful restaurants and cafes. South of Platanos is Pandeli, a small fishing village with a sand and shingle beach and beautifully protected from the Meltemi wind from the northwest.

Leros' best beach is at Alinda, and is a long strip of shingle edged with tamarisk trees which give plenty of welcome shade. Free sunbeds and clean, shallow water meant that it was easy to relax here for an afternoon, as it was at Blefoutis Beach in the north too.

The staff at Lakki Marina could not be more helpful, even if you are not staying there; they are always ready to lend a helping hand. Rene and Yannis at Leros Rent A Car are two of the nicest people you could wish to meet who will drop whatever they are doing to help you. All of the people we have met on the island have been very kind and friendly. They are proud of their island, which has not given itself to tourism. You won't find noisy nightclubs with music blearing out until the early hours but you will find the young dudes tearing up and down Lakki waterfront on their motorbikes and cars in the evening for a while. I know which one I prefer.

There is a free wall next to Lakki Marina which is a great place to leave the boat whilst you do some exploring or just to tie up to to make provisioning and laundry easier.

Apart from Sicily, this is the only other place that we have found that we would be happy to live on. I think that speaks for itself but keep the secret to yourself.

CRUISERS NOTES
Leros Rent A Car - tel 22470 22330. lerosrentacar@gmail.com. 25 euros a day. Based at Lakki waterfront.
Laundry - one street back from Leros Rent A Car. Service wash & dry 6 euros. Not a great wash though.
Aegean Travel on Lakki high street for all ferry & flight bookings. leros@aegeantravel.gr
Blue Star Ferry from Pireaus to Leros. Cabin for 2 people with bathroom 88 euros each.
Olympic Airlines 45 min flight from Leros to Athens 76 euros each.
Great hotel in Athens - Areos Hotel, Bouboulinas 19. Next to Archeological Museum.
The BEST Orthopaedic Surgeon in the whole world - Dimitris Lyras. Based in Lakki, Leros. Tel 22470-26538. E: dimitrislyras@yahoo.gr
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK