Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Kos Town

24 August 2013
Birthplace of Hippocrates, the Ancient Greek physician known as the founder of medicine, Kos today is a very popular summer holiday destination.

As the weather was quite settled, we anchored off between the old town and the new marina. The small beaches along here looked a bit strange with sandbags surrounding them but when the strong meltemi wind blows, there is nothing to prevent the sunbathers getting swept up by a wave I suppose. Looking to see where other cruisers were taking their dinghies, we did the same and left it tied to the ferry dock, close to the beach and set off to take a look around.

The old town harbour was a colourful and bustling place with large trippers boats heading out to various destinations for the day, local fishermen selling their wares, fancy motor boats trying to look cool and boats just like ours all taking in the historic surroundings of the Knights of St. John.

It is said that Hippocrates taught under a plane tree in the centre of the town and that tree still exists today, though supported by scaffolding now. Plane trees don’t normally live for more than 200 years so that story might be stretched a little! Beneath it is an old sarcophagus converted into a fountain by the Turks when they ruled the city. Opposite it, is the unfortunately boarded-up 18th century Mosque of Gazi Hassan Pasha.
Though Kos Town is a big tourist spot, it didn’t feel crowded (everyone was probably on the beach!) and you don’t have to walk far to find some interesting and colourful sights.

Returning to our dinghy, we found it looking as if it had been in a tsunami, and we think it almost was! There was water inside it, as well as a small rock, the cover had been pulled off the engine and the dinghy cover was damaged. We have no idea what really happened, and can only assume that a big wave did come in which sucked and trapped the dinghy under the dock. Someone had obviously tried to sort it out in our absence, for which we thank them. So, we bailed out the dinghy and headed back to the boat to clean it up. It was a shame as our trip ashore was a pleasant one otherwise.

CRUISERS NOTES
DO NOT tie your dinghy to the ferry/gullet dock. Take it into the marina or old port.

Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK