Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Kastos

05 September 2014
On our previous visits to the Ionian, we had never got around to visiting the small island of Kastos, which had been highly rated by lots of our friends. Timing the visit is crucial though, as it is a popular destination for flotillas and so we decided that a Saturday would be good as this generally tends to be a holiday-makers turn around day and most flotillas would be back at base. We were right, the tiny port had space on the quay but the anchorage just outside looked idyllic with turquoise, crystal clear water; that was the place for us.

Our trip down the east coast had us mesmerized by the fantastic rock formations; layer upon layer of white, cream and gold rocks curving and twisting the whole length of the coast with small, picture postcard anchorages along the way.

We went ashore to check out the small port of this sleepy island and came upon a well-maintained vintage Harley Davidson motorbike that certainly didn’t look out of place here. The setting was gorgeous especially as the sun rose the next morning with the Greek mainland in the background and the morning sun tinting everything a delicate rose colour.

We could easily have stayed longer but a forecasted thunderstorm meant that we preferred to be somewhere with better shelter. We’ll just have to make sure we return.


Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK