Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Atlantic Crossing - the first 500 miles

20 January 2015
Having completed 4 days of our journey, here are some stats and info as of midday today (Wed).

DISTANCE TRAVELLED Total miles 566 Average speed 5.9kts Best daily mileage 160 / 6.7kts average

WEATHER & SEA Whispy clouds & sunny but you need a fleece on due to wind chill. By day 4, sea has calmed and swell reduced. We no longer feel like we are on a fairground ride, as exhilarating as that is. However, the sea makes a surprising amount of noise. There is also an amazing amount of floating seaweed that keeps getting trapped on the Hydrovane rudder and has to be cleared off. With the full moon approaching , it never gets really dark but that means that we don't get to see all the stars.

SEALIFE Tally so far - 1 pod of dolphins, 2 birds and lots of flying fish, who shoot out of the water either individually or as a shoal/flock? When they are flying they resemble sparrows but we don't think they have any idea of where they are going and end up head-butting a wave before they disappear beneath the waves. Unfortunately, they don't always land in the water and some end up flapping about in the cockpit, which takes you by surprise at night, or we find several dead on the deck each morning. We've given up counting.

CREW We are fine and getting into a routine. Between 9pm and 9am we split the watch to 3hrs on/3hrs off and we sleep in the saloon, where we cannot roll out of bed. During my night watches I like to listen to music and Chris uses this time to think about stuff.

Photo was taken around 8am a couple of days ago.

Bye for now.
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK