Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Mindelo, Cape Verde – Cruisers Info

08 January 2016
For anyone visiting Mindelo, we thought the following information may be useful.

MARINA
Over the Christmas and New Year holiday period, getting boat repairs done quickly is difficult.
We had our fridge re-gassed (110 euros) through Boat CV & main sail repaired (87 euros) through office.
There was a 25% discount offered on all bookings made by 31st December.
Major surge in marina, shock absorbers may be necessary.

ANCHORAGE
Very good holding & larger than pilot book suggested.

INTERNET

Though marina bar offers free wifi and you can purchase from marina office, they are both very slow. Better option is to exit marina, turn right and go to Unitel and buy a dongle, 6GB valid for a month for approx. 30 euros.

BANKS
You can only get money from ATM’s during banking hours so, not at the weekend.
Turn right out of marina, if that’s not working, go one street back and there are more options.

SUPERMARKETS

Turn right out of marina and walk along the waterfront. You will find Fragata and Mimosa. There is a larger Fragata straight out of marina, cross the main road, go one road back, then left. There are smaller shops throughout town too.

PRODUCE MARKET

The main market building (big white building) was good for the butcher only. We were massively overcharged for veggies. A much better produce market is turn right out of marina, walk along waterfront to the end, follow road around to the left and it is on the left, with a smaller one a little further on. Both are very good and we were charged properly.

Food is surprisingly expensive.

FISH MARKET
Large market, turn right out of marina, walk along waterfront and it is on the right before the end of the road.

REFUSE
You have to pay marina 1 euro to use their bins (included if you are staying in the marina). No large bins in town, just small ones.

LAUNDRY
Opposite the Produce Market. Excellent wash. 4 euros wash / 4 euros dry.

SECURITY
We were not hassled at all. We did lift our dinghy out of the water at night. Others did not. We did not hear of any problems.

Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK