Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Atlantic Crossing Double-Handed – Mindelo, Cape Verde to Port St. Charles, Barbados 16-31 January 2016

31 January 2016
Below are some bullet-points of our observations that we've put together following our crossing. Maybe it will be of help to someone else.

After 9 years afloat, we know ourselves/capabilities and boat well. This allowed us to work out how best to prepare for the trip.

Good preparation paid off.

Mediterranean sailing bears no comparison to Ocean sailing but trips from Gibraltar to Canary Islands and then to Cape Verdes provided a good understanding of what to expect.

Communications: Iridium Go proved excellent.

Sleep disruption and deprivation was hard.

Took longer than a couple of days to get into rhythm. Recommend seasickness tablets if you are at all susceptible.

Motion of boat means constant bracing, which was hard on the body.

Important to have comfy seating as you are sat down a lot. Also important to have comfy clothing for the same reason (including underwear).

Use non-slip mats on all work surfaces.

The noise of the sea was surprisingly loud.

Full moon during the crossing was great.

Squalls from about halfway across. Radar very useful for spotting/avoiding them.

Provisioning - freeze-dried/tins worked perfectly. Items in smaller packaging and portions ie drinks.

Showering difficult. Use wet-wipes and wet flannel.

Bimini up the whole way but had a quick storage system if necessary.

Blue hull had baked on limescale upon arrival.

Lots of Sargasso seaweed during the whole crossing, which clung to the Hydrovane rudder and had to be removed with fish gaff.

Electronics on during passage - AIS, VHF, instruments. Chartplotter & radar intermittent. Did not use autopilot.

Expect water in the cockpit.
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK