Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Carnival in Grenada

11 October 2016
One of the highlights in the Grenadan calendar is Carnival; the culmination of months of steel band and music competitions that is celebrated by the entire island in 3 days of partying.

We were mezmerised during the steel band competition to see huge bands of up to 70 people of all ages bringing the National Stadium to life with their melodies. After each group, the whole set had to be wheeled off the stage so that the next group could set up. It resembled an enormous jigsaw puzzle getting everything in place.

The night Carnival showcased all the bands that would be taking part in the main Carnival event. Each band was headed by a lorry onto which was loaded massive speakers that blasted out with extra bass and from which plenty of rum was being distributed. This was followed by a procession of people waving colourful light sticks that lit up the night sky.

Pretty Carnival was the main event where participants of all shapes and sizes paraded down the road wearing costumes of feathers, beaded bikinis, gold fishnet tights and very bright colours. The main theme for the girls was very bright and very small. No matter what size, most seemed to be wearing a costume that was several sizes too small for them. It was great fun, everyone had a wonderful time and what impressed us the most was that whilst there were hundreds of people on the streets to watch, there was not one policeman to be seen, it wasn't necessary because everyone behaved properly, even those who had been making the most of the rum punches. A great example to everyone.

If you get the chance to go to Grenada, try to be there for Carnival and experience one of the happiest times of the year.

Click here for all the photos...
Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK