Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Iles des Saintes, French West Indies

16 January 2017
With two reefs in both sails, we headed north for Iles des Saintes, a small group of French islands just 20 miles away. We had a great sail there and made for the only small town, Bourg des Saintes, on the largest island Terre d'en Haut, where we took a mooring close to the shore, as it was too deep to anchor there. Since the islands were never used for agriculture, no slaves were imported, and the local inhabitants are all there because they want to be, and we understand why.

Bourg des Saintes is a pretty town with a strong French feel. It is very popular with day-trippers from Guadeloupe who arrive on the many ferries that bring the tourism euros to the island to spend in the shops, restaurants and holiday activities. But the same ferries also take everyone away at the end of the day and quiet descends. We spent New Year Eve here with friends, Dave & Anna, enjoying a meal on the waterfront followed by music and dancing in a local bar. At midnight, we were treated to a great firework display as we popped the bubbly aboard Dave & Anna's boat, Apollo. We were very pleased to have arrived a couple of days before New Year because very quickly all available mooring buoys were taken and the only permissible anchoring area was exposed to wind and waves.

CRUISERS NOTES
Mooring buoy 12-14.99m - 13 euros day/85 week/290 month Dec-May
Laundry 10 euros wash & dry
Lots of recycling but regular rubbish goes on street parallel to the main street
Make sure you have fuel and cooking gas before you arrive as it's not easy to get there

Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK