Deep Blue

Living The Dream

Sailing Slovenia

26 July 2009
It was time to say goodbye to Italy for a while and start our journey down the Dalmatian Coast of the Adriatic. A cruiseship was slipping into Venice as we left, a lovely breakfast view for its guests.

We motorsailed for the 58 mile trip unfortunately and the heat that we had experienced in Venice continued. We had hoped to find a space in the small marina in Piran but arriving at 6pm meant that what space there was had already been taken, so we went around the corner and into Marina Portoroz as a thunderstorm was looming to clear the air. The marina was very nice and the staff very helpful. It was pricey but included use of their swimming pool and laundry facilities.

Slovenia declared its independence in 1991, triggering the fall of Yugoslavia. Since then, it joined the EU in 2003 and adopted the Euro in 2007. The Slovenian Adriatic coast is only about 25km long, though the country itself has 1.8 million inhabitants.

Despite being next door neighbours to Italy, we were surprised at how different Slovenia is. The people are quite Germanic in appearance and most speak several languages. The surrounding countryside is beautiful with lots of woodland, all lush green. Outdoor pursuits are obviously a big draw here, as is camping. We were struck by how clean and tidy it is and how reminisent of the South of France the area around Portoroz was with terracota roofed houses dotted into the hills and lots of lovely hotels, the Palace Hotel Kempinski being one.

There are no sandy beaches here so everyone either sunbathes on sun-loungers on the promenade along the water's edge or finds a spot, either on some grass or even the stone floor, to relax.

They are proud of the diversity of their food and we can vouch only for their excellent bread. We did not eat out during our four days there so we didn't have the chance to try the local fare, most of which seems to focus around buckwheat porridge, pork crackling (here 'Pig is King' is their motto), cottage cheese and pigs blood. Think we might have done the right thing!


CRUISERS NOTES
Marina Portoroz 85 euros p/n 14m July 2009. Rate includes use of swimming pool (not sun loungers or umbrella though) and washing machine and dryers. Water & electric 5 euros extra. Excellent faciliites.
Moor between posts (quite tight)
Supermarket in marina but very small. For better choice, go out of marina, turn right and follow road past the go-kart track and campsite (5 mins on bike).
No cruising permit or customs clearance is required for EU citizens.

Comments
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: Shotley, UK
Crew: Chris & Sandra Mennem
About:
We have realised a long held dream to 'Sell Up & Sail'. Having sailed in the Mediterranean and Caribbean on holiday, we have taken the plunge, waved goodbye to corporate life and want to see where the wind blows us. [...]
Extra: Contact details:- Tel: 07937 061051 (from a UK landline) +44 7937 061051 (from a mobile)

THE DEEP BLUE TEAM

Who: Chris & Sandra Mennem
Port: Shotley, UK