Defying Charybdis

Vessel Name: Charybdis
Recent Blog Posts
17 October 2010

Sailing Lessons Anyone?

I first learned sailing from my Uncle Jim. A veteran sailor who had sailed the world several times during his youth, he was the one who thought me the basics of sailing and gave me valuable advice on how to survive the sea. That was why when I decided to purchase my own sailboat and go on my first expedition [...]

17 October 2010

Sailing Essentials: Don’t Leave Port Without It!

Planning to set sail? Whether you are a newbie or a professional, it always pays to do a maintenance check to your equipment before leaving the dock. But this alone is not enough preparation before setting off into the sea. You need to make sure that you have packed the right sailing gear to assist you [...]

Sailing Essentials: Don’t Leave Port Without It!

17 October 2010
Planning to set sail? Whether you are a newbie or a professional, it always pays to do a maintenance check to your equipment before leaving the dock. But this alone is not enough preparation before setting off into the sea. You need to make sure that you have packed the right sailing gear to assist you in your travel.

One of the most important sailing gear that you need to have is a sailing knife. I cannot emphasize how such a simple tool can save your live. There had been countless incidents of sailors getting entangled accidentally by rope or a Genoa sheet who would have avoided getting themselves killed had they had access to a knife to cut it off. Though a folding knife may be more convenient to bring around in your belt, you would be needing to use two hands to open it which may prove to be inefficient when the situation arrives.

Another important sailing gear is your flashlight. But instead of getting the common hand held flashlight, it is recommended that you get a head band flashlight instead. Most of the work you would be doing on your boat, like engine maintenance, would require the use of both your hands. Bring along at least three spare batteries just in case you run out of power.

Even if you would be sailing on a good weather, it would be best to have a Foul Weather Gear ready. Your gear can compose of a jacket and pants. How thick or thin the material will be depends on where you would be sailing too. Thick, heavy, warm gear would be better if you intend to pass cold areas.

Lastly, keep a waterproof bag for your valuables where you can easily grab them. Zip-lock bags work best in this situation. It will keep them safe from the deterioration brought by sea water and can be quickly opened when needed.

These are just a few essential items that you need to have with you before boarding your sailboat. Depending on the situation or your destination, you may need more gear than what I have already listed. Just keep in mind that it is always best to be prepared for any situation in the sea. Because you'll never know just what will happen to you the moment you set sail.
Comments

About & Links