The Delivery Guy

John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.

11 December 2012 | North Atlantic
08 December 2012 | North Atlantic
01 December 2012 | North Atlantic
23 November 2012 | North Atlantic
14 November 2012 | North Atlantic
05 November 2012 | North Atlantic
03 November 2012 | North Atlantic
29 October 2012 | North Atlantic
26 October 2012 | North Atlantic
23 October 2012 | Sines, Portugal
06 October 2012 | Brighton, UK
26 September 2012 | London
13 September 2012 | Cape Town
21 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
15 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
07 August 2012 | Nosi Be, Madagascar
29 July 2012 | Mozambique Chanel
27 July 2012 | Richards Bay, South Africa
05 June 2012 | St George's Harbour, Bermuda
28 May 2012 | North Atlantic

Hell(ville)

07 August 2012 | Nosi Be, Madagascar
John
Our wind died a lot earlier than expected and we have done a lot of motor-sailing. We reached our waypoint a good 18 hours later than initially expected and did a slight turn to port, towards our next waypoint off the little island of Juan de Nova and then crept up the coast to just north of the island of Nosi Be. The wind came up to 30 knots "on the nose" and at 02:00 in the morning I decided to change course to Nosi Be to get fuel.

Now, the main town on Nosi Be is "Hellville" - and that is just what it is, absolute hell! We arrived yesterday afternoon (Tuesday) and I started the check-in process. Now, I have no idea how the process should work here but it appears that there are grubby little paws everywhere seeking their "cut" of money. The local policeman at the port that does the immigration process stamped our passports with a 10 day visa and then added his official "GRATIS" stamp. In my understanding "gratis" means "free", but not here. It means 60,000 Ariary with no receipt given and no record of the charge being made. Then on to the customs office in the port. He stamps our crew list and demands 30,000 Ariary (with no receipt given). Then I am told to proceed to the Harbour Masters office where I have to hand in my crew list with the customs stamp and am told to pay 50,000 Ariary. Then, to top it off I have to go to the Customs and Inland Revenue office in town and cough up another 30,000 Ariary. I wonder what it is going to cost to leave?

Now, I have been to many poor places in the world, but nothing compared to this. Hellville lives up to its name. A taxi is really any old Renault 5 or 9 that has an engine that just works, is rusted to hell and gone, has bald tyres and a driver that would not pass any driving test, anywhere in the world. Oh, I forgot to mention that the vehicle, if it can be called that, has no suspension and is held together with duct tape, lest something falls off whilst mobile - the breaks are also metal on metal. It is far safer to just walk into town.

So, what do we see in Hellville, you may ask? It is strange as most shops are small run-down shacks or crumbling brick buildings that seem to trade in something. Sometimes I actually cannot fathom out what they trade in, but they seem to survive. Our guide (which costs 40,000 Ariary per hour or day), speaks just a smattering of English and some French and finds it hard to explain to me exactly what the different shops are selling. However, after passing a few carts drawn by oxen in the main street and nearly killing us a few times because the taxi driver has no idea that there is two-way traffic and he has to keep right, we are taken to a Shell service station where we buy 150 litres of diesel (called gasoil here). Up the road we pass a few more oxen fuelled carts and a few road signs indicating they have the right of way, and arrive at our next destination, a restaurant that has Wi-Fi - pronounced "weeee feeee" here. The connection is cheap and I am able to download the latest seven day weather forecast for the region north of Madagascar to the Seychelles. Not too good as the winds will be 20 to 30 knots for the next few days, dropping to 15 to 20 over the weekend. So, I made the decision to wait three days for the winds to settle a bit before undertaking our last leg of the delivery.

There was one thing I managed to get whilst in Hellville, and that was about 1.5 kilograms of vanilla pods - 50 cents a pod here compared to more than R5.00 a pod back home in Cape Town. So, whilst the boat is well scented with vanilla, we wish you well for the next few days. Oh, although Hellville is hell, the rest of the islands are absolutely fantastic! Regards from Richard, Dylan and myself, John.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ultima Life
Vessel Make/Model: Majestic 53
Hailing Port: Cape Town
Crew: John
About:
John Titterton has sailed over 350 000 nm in the years he has been delivering sailing vessels. He has sailed the Mediterranean Sea, South and North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea and Pacific with a bit of the Indian Ocean thrown in for luck! This blog follows his deliveries as they occur. [...]

John Titterton ZS1JNT

Who: John
Port: Cape Town