The Delivery Guy

John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.

11 December 2012 | North Atlantic
08 December 2012 | North Atlantic
01 December 2012 | North Atlantic
23 November 2012 | North Atlantic
14 November 2012 | North Atlantic
05 November 2012 | North Atlantic
03 November 2012 | North Atlantic
29 October 2012 | North Atlantic
26 October 2012 | North Atlantic
23 October 2012 | Sines, Portugal
06 October 2012 | Brighton, UK
26 September 2012 | London
13 September 2012 | Cape Town
21 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
15 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
07 August 2012 | Nosi Be, Madagascar
29 July 2012 | Mozambique Chanel
27 July 2012 | Richards Bay, South Africa
05 June 2012 | St George's Harbour, Bermuda
28 May 2012 | North Atlantic

Valdivia Banks

19 November 2007
John
Tonight we pass directly over the Valdivia Banks, an underwater sea mount that comes up to 23 metres below the sea surface. The area is quite often populated by fishing vessels which means an extra bit of caution by the watch keepers. Fortunately the sea conditions are flat at the moment and we are motor-sailing in very little breeze, which means that there will be little turbulence when passing over the banks.

Yesterday we caught our first fish, a long-fin Tuna, which managed to escape the dinner plate by wiggling off the hook as I was trying to bring it on board. Pity, as it was a good sized one! At first light today we had the fishing line out again and by mid-morning had no takers to the lure. Terry and Shaun rigged up a second line with bungee and we have now doubled our chances of having a fishy supper - hopefully a decent sized long-fin will think that one of the lures looks delectable and "take the bait".

Also yesterday afternoon we started seeing an extraordinary number of Storm Petrels. We normally have a couple following the boat but suddenly there were 20 or 30 of the little birds swooping around us. A short while later we found the reason. We came across the carcass of a dead whale which was covered in birds, all trying to have their feast of blubber. This is something I have never seen before and was quite a sight. Remember that we are quite a few hundred nautical miles from any land and here were well over 100 birds of different species that had found this meal in the middle of nowhere! Amazing!

Tomorrow we should have reached our half-way mark between Cape Town and St Helena. Although there is no wind at the moment, the wind is due to start picking up around midnight tonight and should continue to strengthen into tomorrow. We can then expect two or three days of south-easterly winds of 25 knots, which will give us a good push towards St Helena.

Now for the radio hams out there. Shaun and I will be monitoring 14 237.5 KHz from 16:00 Zulu (UTC/GMT) for anybody who wishes to chat to us - that is 18:00 SAST. We are keeping a log and will be sending out QSL cards after the trip. And for those readers who have had QSO's with me this year, your QSL cards will only be send at the end of this trip as I have not had the time to post them all due to no "off time" between deliveries.

Today we also have our second time change for the trip and are now on Greenwich Time. The next time change will be only a few days after leaving St Helena.

The photograph above is of Terry trying to pretend he understands all the controls of the boat. Hey, he is making progress and we are still pointing in the required direction!

Regards from Terry, Shaheda, Shaun and myself, John.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ultima Life
Vessel Make/Model: Majestic 53
Hailing Port: Cape Town
Crew: John
About:
John Titterton has sailed over 350 000 nm in the years he has been delivering sailing vessels. He has sailed the Mediterranean Sea, South and North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea and Pacific with a bit of the Indian Ocean thrown in for luck! This blog follows his deliveries as they occur. [...]

John Titterton ZS1JNT

Who: John
Port: Cape Town