The Delivery Guy

John delivers new catamarans mostly from Cape Town, South Africa, to various destinations around the world - follow his next trip from London, United Kingdom to Fort Lauderdale, USA.

11 December 2012 | North Atlantic
08 December 2012 | North Atlantic
01 December 2012 | North Atlantic
23 November 2012 | North Atlantic
14 November 2012 | North Atlantic
05 November 2012 | North Atlantic
03 November 2012 | North Atlantic
29 October 2012 | North Atlantic
26 October 2012 | North Atlantic
23 October 2012 | Sines, Portugal
06 October 2012 | Brighton, UK
26 September 2012 | London
13 September 2012 | Cape Town
21 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
15 August 2012 | Indian Ocean
07 August 2012 | Nosi Be, Madagascar
29 July 2012 | Mozambique Chanel
27 July 2012 | Richards Bay, South Africa
05 June 2012 | St George's Harbour, Bermuda
28 May 2012 | North Atlantic

Still In Port Elizabeth

11 May 2009
John
As you will gather, the weather that we expected originally on Tuesday, then Wednesday, then ????day, was delayed! So, we are still sitting at the Algoa Bay Yacht Club waiting for the cold front to reach Port Elizabeth so that we can climb on its back with a good westerly blow. And blow it appears it will as the predictions are for 45 knots at 35 degrees south but only 25 knots at 33 degrees south for next week - guess we will be sticking to 32 to 33 degrees south as we make our easterly. However, thank goodness we are already in Port Elizabeth as the wind, this weekend, is predicted to be in the region of 50 knots out of the west off Cape Agulhas!

So, what are we doing? Well, as the youngsters say, we have been "chilling". I recon that us old sods call it, diplomatically, "very little". We have been doing quite a bit of reading, listening to music, tweaking the electronics on the boat and other non-stressful jobs. Basically, we are all ready to throw off the lines and head east after topping up our water tanks. In the evenings we have been having a braai on the yacht club lawns as it is cheaper to cook that way than make use of the local restaurant.

Today (Wednesday 13 May), I hired a small car so that Luke, Yoni and I could drive to Addo and see the elephants. From the above photograph you will gather that we saw plenty of them together with a host of buck, warthogs, one wildebeest and, remarkably, one magnificent lion having his midday snooze under a thorn tree. It was a fun trip as I have never been to Addo. Renier is staying with his brother, who lives in Port Elizabeth, and will only be returning to the boat on Thursday afternoon.

Now let's get back to the weather. Today's prediction still has us departing on Friday but we need to track north a few degrees to miss some of the storm force winds. It appears that it will be a rough first four or five days so I need to keep a constant watch on the weather forecasts to ensure we are far enough north.

Well, that's the news from Moorings A1095 - a further blog report when we head out to sea from Port Elizabeth. Regards from the gang - John.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ultima Life
Vessel Make/Model: Majestic 53
Hailing Port: Cape Town
Crew: John
About:
John Titterton has sailed over 350 000 nm in the years he has been delivering sailing vessels. He has sailed the Mediterranean Sea, South and North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea and Pacific with a bit of the Indian Ocean thrown in for luck! This blog follows his deliveries as they occur. [...]

John Titterton ZS1JNT

Who: John
Port: Cape Town