SV Delos

Vessel Name: delos
08 July 2008 | Shileshole Marina
07 July 2008 | Straits of Juan de Fuca
06 July 2008 | North Pacific, 47 N Latitude
05 July 2008 | North Pacific, 45 N Latitude
04 July 2008 | North Pacific, 44 N Latitude
03 July 2008 | North Pacific, 42 N Latitude
03 July 2008 | North Pacific, 42 N Latitude
02 July 2008 | Middle of the Pacific, approaching 41 N Latitude
01 July 2008 | Middle of the Pacific, approaching 38 N Latitude
30 June 2008 | Middle of the Pacific, approaching 38 N Latitude
29 June 2008 | Middle of the Pacific, approaching 37 N Latitude
28 June 2008 | Middle of the Pacific, approaching 35 N Latitude
27 June 2008 | Middle of the Pacific, approaching 34 N Latitude
27 June 2008 | Middle of the Pacific, approaching 34 N Latitude
26 June 2008 | Middle of the Pacific, approaching 32 N Latitude
25 June 2008 | Middle of the Pacific, approaching 30 N Latitude
24 June 2008 | Middle of the Pacific
23 June 2008 | Middle of the Pacific!
22 June 2008 | Somewhere North of the Hawaiin Islands
22 June 2008 | North of the Hawaiin Islands
Recent Blog Posts
08 July 2008 | Shileshole Marina

Day 20- Home sweet home!

The rest of the night through the straits was uneventful. There was a lot of shipping traffic but it clearly showed up on the AIS and radar. We pulled into Port Townsend just before 6:00AM to a beautiful, sunny, clear morning. There wasn't a breath of wind and the water was like a mirror.

07 July 2008 | Straits of Juan de Fuca

Day 19- Land Ho!

At 1:40PM we spotted the mountains of Vancouver Island off our port bow! Initially they were hard to tell apart from the clouds on the horizon, but slowly they began to take shape. It was a very emotional experience for everyone to see land after so many days and miles at sea. About the same time [...]

06 July 2008 | North Pacific, 47 N Latitude

Day 18- 110 miles and counting.

110 miles to go until land fall! We're estimating 3PM tomorrow to reach the straits. The winds were light and their direction unfavorable so we started motoring at about 6AM and continued through most of the day until about 5:30 when the wind finally shifted and came up. Motoring wasn't unwelcome [...]

05 July 2008 | North Pacific, 45 N Latitude

Day 17- Happy 4th of July!

Wow! Only 290 more miles until we get to the straits! From there it's another 80 or so to Pt. Townsend, then another 30 or so to Shileshole Marina. We're getting closer and you can sense the anticipation of seeing family and friends on everyone's mind.

04 July 2008 | North Pacific, 44 N Latitude

Day 16- 1900 miles under the keel.

The winds were moderate and the seas relatively flat today. We ran under the asymmetrical chute for most of the day making good speed of over 7 knots. Great sailing! This morning while Kurt and I were in the cockpit we saw a pod of porpoises. They stayed with us playing in the bow wave just long [...]

03 July 2008 | North Pacific, 42 N Latitude

svcapaz.com

I meant to link to this a few days ago but it slipped my mind. The other guys have been posting to svcapaz.com. I think they have been uploading pictures. Be sure to check it out to get a different perspective on the trip!

Day 11- Catching Waves.

29 June 2008 | Middle of the Pacific, approaching 37 N Latitude
Brian Trautman
As the sun rose during my watch this morning a grey, overcast sky was revealed. Winds where 18-20 knots and we were running downwind with the full main, mizzen, and poled out Genoa. The GRIB showed the wind building throughout the afternoon so we decided to put up the smaller jib to not be overpowered. The sequence for a sail change goes a little like this: First, you worry about getting the old sail down. This has to be done from the bow so we all put on our PFD's and harnessed ourselves to the boat. The 5-6 foot seas were moving the boat around quite a bit and we were taking a few waves over the bow. For these maneuvers we always switch to manual steering and turn off the auto pilot off so we can head up or down to work with the sail. With Eric at the helm we removed the pole from the Genoa and dropped the end to the deck. Brad then loosened the halyard while Kurt and I grabbed the foot of the sail and started bringing it to the deck. The idea is to get the sail down and gathered to the deck as quickly as possible. If the wind grabs any of the loose sail and it starts flailing around on deck stuff, including you, could easily get hurt. We got the sail down ok and started working on folding and stowing the Genoa. Kurt grabbed the new jib from below. To hoist the new sail everything goes in reverse. You need someone feeding the leading edge into the track at the forestay, while someone pulls the sail up with the halyard from the mast winch. These sails are big and heavy when they are dry, and when they get wet you can really tell the difference. Lugging them around on the deck and up\down from below takes a lot of effort. We're performing this maneuver with 4 people. I couldn't image being a single-hander on a boat of this size!

Shortly after the sail change it began to rain. We had a slight drizzle a few days ago, but this was real rain. Because the weather was so crappy we spent the entire day in the pilot house. I know this sounds almost like cheating, but hey if you have it than use it right? Who wants to get wet if they don't have to? So below we stayed. Kurt cooked up some tasty pancakes for breakfast and Brad heated up soup and made tuna melts for lunch. We cruised along warm and comfy with great visibility. It's just amazing how the weather has changed so quickly as we move north.

We were clipping along at a good rate of 8+ knots for most of the day. Because we were running downwind the waves and swell were also at our back so the boat was continually surfing down the faces of the 5-6 foot swells. While sitting in the boat you can really feel how the force of the waves and water act on the hull. As a wave approaches the stern the boat attempts to pivot around the center and push the bow the opposite way. The autopilot often over compensates so the boat is constantly swinging lower and higher than your intended course. As the wave starts to make more contact with the stern you can actually feel the back of the boat lift slightly. This is where you start to feel the acceleration from the wave. The wave accelerates the boat until it's sliding down the face. This continues until the wave breaks and passes under the stern, leaving a white froth on both sides of the boat as the wave continues on. The effect is very apparent if you watch the speed over the ground indicator on the GPS. Brad had the record for calling out the highest observed speed while surfing at 12.2 knots! I think our speed under sail at this point was around 7, so we were getting quite a burst from surfing. An amazing amount of energy contained in a single wave than can accelerate a 41,000 lb boat. It's controllable in waves of this size range, however as the waves get larger you can get into trouble by either broaching or pitch-poling. Broaching happens when you cannot keep the boat headed straight down the face of the swell when the stern starts to kick get pushed sideways. At some point you end up going across the swell instead of down it which can lead to problems if the face is tall enough. Pitch-poling is an even worse nightmare. If the wave is big enough you may gain so much speed that when you hit the trough of the wave your bow digs and sticks into the next face. The bow digs in and stops, but the stern is still moving. You just had a very bad day.

As we surfed down the waves everyone caught up on reading and DVD watching. There is a DVD folder on board with lots of Simpson's and Seinfeld episodes left from the previous owners. Brad of course found time for an episode of 24. There are some "sailing smut" magazines from last year aboard, including Lats & Atts and Cruising World. They're still entertaining even though they are old. I finished reading "The call of the Wild" by Jack London. I found the book while rummaging around in the closet in the aft cabin. Great and quick read especially since I just finished "Into the Wild." Apparently this book was a major influence on Chris McCandlass.

The wind and waves are supposed to build throughout the night so should be a good ride. I have the first watch (8:00PM-10:30PM) tonight. Today marks the half way point in our sail distance wise! We have around 1300 NM left to go, and if all goes as planned should be close to Neah bay by next Sunday.
Comments

About & Links