Favorite Links
No Links Added Yet

Tabuaeran II: Bigger and Better

Vessel Name: Rosinante
Vessel Make/Model: 63'x 45' custom�carbon fiber and epoxy�Hughes/Perry Trimaran
Hailing Port: Lahaina, HI
Crew: Randolph 'Capt. Crunch' Coon, Ginger Coon, Lily Coon, Denver Coon, Kenneth Campbell
12 August 2009
12 August 2009
12 August 2009
12 August 2009
11 August 2009
08 August 2009 | Maui, Hawaii
07 August 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
06 August 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
04 August 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
03 August 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
31 July 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
31 July 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
29 July 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
28 July 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
26 July 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
25 July 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
25 July 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
22 July 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
21 July 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
21 July 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
Recent Blog Posts
12 August 2009

Final Words

August 11th, 2009

12 August 2009

Pictures!!!

Here's a link to 120 shots from the trip...pretty awesome stuff.

12 August 2009

August 7th, 2009

August 7th, 2009

August 1st(Hawaii Time)

04 August 2009 | 04 43.465'N:158 58.700'W, Pacific Ocean
Denver Coon
August 1s to 3rd, 2009 Hey everyone, sorry for the delay in the action. Our plans changed pretty quickly when we received word from our weather forecaster that we needed to leave right away or we'd be stuck in Fanning for an indefinite amount of time as multiple tropical storms passed between Fanning and Hawaii. With our supplies and water running low we decided that it would be a good idea to take his advice and make a run back to Hawaii while we had favorable southeast winds. So here is what has happened over the last few days. On the morning of August 1st we received news about the weather and all agreed on heading back to Hawaii that evening. Our official departure time would be 4pm, meaning we had a lot to do in a short amount of time, including checking out with customs, cleaning Rosinante's hulls, stowing all the surfboards, scuba gear, and kiteboarding equipment, doing our final errands and goodbyes, raising up the skiff, and pulling anchor. We started by cleaning up the trampolines and scrubbing the hulls. We stored all fourteen surfboards along with the kiteboarding and windsurfing gear in the starboard hull with all of our trash.not looking forward to opening that hatch again. After Riley took down his tent slash swimming pool we all jumped in the water and began scrubbing. Riley and I used scuba gear to clean the very bottom of the hull along with the dagger board and prop, while Kenny and Ginger snorkeled and scrubbed the sides of the hulls. The hull scrubbing took just less than an hour, much quicker than we had anticipated, and the hulls looked the best they had been since Rosinante's last dry dock over a year ago. Plus, with Rosinante clean of all the barnacles and seaweed that had built up over the last month our travel time back home would be cut down considerably. Once everyone had dried off it was time to head into town for our final errands. Ginger brought a batch of brownies covered in chocolate to Kiratha as a way to say thank you for teaching us how to work with the leafs from coconut fronds; we also put a couple coconut leaf grasshoppers on top the brownies to show her that we really did learn something. Riley went off to Bruno's to give a copy of Trilogy to he and his daughter Margale as thanks for all the great hospitality. Kenny headed to Tairone's to pick up some papayas and bread, while Capt. Rand checked out with customs. Unfortunately when Capt. Rand met with the customs officials they couldn't find the ship's papers, big problem. After a few moments of panic they figured out that the papers were with the police chief and in just a few minutes Tairone's son, Stuart, was able ride his bike over and grab them. Why the papers were in the pocket of the police chief no one knew, maybe he just needed a new hanky . With errands on the island complete everyone made there way back to the boat for final preparations. After raising the skiff and storing its motor in the port ama, the only thing to do before heading out the pass into Open Ocean was raise the anchor and say a prayer for a safe passage home. After a ten minutes of struggling the anchor finally broke free and we said goodbye to our home for the last, uh.hmmm, don't really remember how long we were in Fanning only that it was a giant blur filled with spectacular and once in a lifetime moments. As we motored out the pass for the final time Ginger blew with air horn signaling our departure. The water below us was crystal clear as usual and it was sad to think that we had no clue as to when the next time we would enjoy such an amazing ocean paradise.let's hope the pictures and memories can keep us going till then. Once we rounded the corner heading north along the coast, we put out four fishing lines, raised the mainsail, unfurled the working jib, and began our journey back home. The south winds and south swell pushed us along at a steady ten knots and it wasn't long before Fanning Island began to fade behind us. But just as we began to get a little teary eyed watching Tabuaeran disappear we hooked up a thirty-pound ono, immediately raising our spirits.the good life shall endure. Sabo Fanning, aloha Hawaii - dc August 2nd, 2009 After leaving the supplies for the new clinic in Fanning, burning up plenty of diesel, and eating lots of food Rosinante is considerably lighter and sailing better than ever. All throughout the night warm southerly winds provided us with great speed and good easting. Our first waypoint is at 7n 156w, about 270 miles to the northeast of Fanning Island. The forecast is to have southeasterly winds for a day and a half, followed by light northeasterly winds for a day, then strong northeasterly winds all the way to Hawaii. At the moment we are planning on making the crossing in four and a half days, arriving into Lahaina some time on Thursday the sixth. Life at sea is just as we remember, salty, wet, and sloppy. But the sailing couldn't be better for us and we are making excellent time. Everyone is settling into the watch schedule again, but you never quite get used to waking up in the middle of the night for two hours and sailing a 63ft trimaran at fifteen knots in the dark.it certainly keeps you awake though. When we aren't on our watch we are usually sleeping, eating, reading, or playing Ginger's Nintendo DS. It's not exactly the adventurous days we were enjoying just a little while ago, but it's definitely an experience. We ran into more squalls than we expected throughout the day, but during the squalls Rosinante was trucking along at speeds up to twenty knots.feels as good as it sounds. At the twenty-four hour mark we had traveled 270 miles, far better than last year. For dinner Riley cooked up the ono from the other day while Capt. Rand whipped up some mashed potatoes. One thing we haven't encountered so far on this trip is bad food and with plenty of fish and chicken left I don't think that will be changing. During the night we again ran into squalls, but so far all they have done is provide us with a little rain and an added boost toward home. At around midnight Capt. Rand thought a large wave breaking near the boat because there was so much whitewash, but after a few moments we realized that it was large school of dolphins. They chased and played with Rosinante for a half hour, giving the Captain a great show while the rest of us had to settle with just a bright moon, starry skies, and good sailing on our watches.can't have it all.

August 3rd, 2009 Well just as the forecast said, we ran into light northeasterly winds. The good news is we made enough easting in the first day and a half that we can afford to head a little west. All morning we motored sailed at around seven and a half knots, only getting above ten knots for a few brief moments. Again our day was spent sleeping, eating, and simply hanging out. The slow speeds and mellow seas were nice though since we were able to open up the hatches and enjoy a nice breeze blowing through the cabin. Ginger made chicken enchiladas for lunch.again we were reminded of how good it is to have her along, oh and she is pretty awesome to hang out with too. In the afternoon we met up with some really confused and wild seas. Rain clouds passed overhead as we raced around the boat trying to put in a third reef in the mainsail. In order to put on a safety line just in case the third reef blew out I had to climb the mast and crawl to the aft end of the boom while Kenny tiptoed on the back railing. We were able to put the safety on without any trouble as the boom and boat swung about, but all eyes glanced at the man over board ring and strobe more than once throughout the process. The night was real rough and real bumpy, with the only enjoyable part being the almost full moon overhead. The confused seas shouldn't last for too much longer, but until then we all are thinking about the quiet anchorage we left behind and the warm stable beds awaiting us on Maui. Until tomorrow - dc
Comments
Current Position
Rosinante's Photos - Main
Fanning Island Sailing Adventure 2009
No Photos
Created 12 August 2009
19 Photos
Created 9 July 2008
The sail down, back, and everything in between...except the surf shots
39 Photos
Created 9 July 2008

About & Links

Favorite Links
No Links Added Yet