a run toward San Francisco
20 July 2012 | Bodega Bay
Michael / Sunny and windy
Sunday July 15, we began the westward trip down the Columbia to the Pacific. We delayed our departure a few days due to some developing seas and winds, and though still sailable, for the first time we had no time schedule and didn't have to go out in seas, so we didn't go.
It is 6:30 am as we ask for the Interstate Bridge to lift for us for the very last time. We went a little farther and asked for the railroad bridge to give a spin and discovered a long train stopped clear across the river. We had to wait 30 minutes to get a spin. We made Astoria 10 hours later in 24 knot winds.
Thankful to be in a safe port for the night I was happy and sad at the same time for I already miss terribly the ones I love and am leaving behind. However, the course of action has been long planned and plotted and it is way too late to change the direction we have chosen for our lives. The most we can comfort our hearts with is short return flights home and your visits to us in the tropics for the sail of your choice. Keep watch on our progress to choose your vacation.
Monday July 16 we crossed the Columbia Bar and traveled nonstop down the Oregon Coast. We sailed through two huge pods of whales and varying winds and seas. Forty-five hours later and two long nights of black fog while sitting and staring at the radar screen, were very tired. We traveled into Crescent City for rest only to find out that the Tsunami had taken out all the guest docks. So we traveled on another ten hours to Eureka to spend one night of true sleep and gain our strength back. I don't remember when I was ever so exhausted. Tomorrow we will round Cape Mendocino and make Bodega Bay after two more nights at sea. I'm too tired to even send this right now but will get it off as soon as I can.
Friday July 20 we began having trouble with the auto pilot. Exhausted after sailing all night again, we began a trip into Bodega Bay where I could crawl into the swim deck locker and affect some repairs without the violent action from the sea. We had been having 5 to 20 knots on the nose for days and had to use motor power to pound into wind waves. This makes for extreme rolling and pitching action from diagonally opposing following seas, for sailboats make lousy motorboats however, we are under a new time constraint to make San Francisco by Monday.
Not sure if we will get out of here tomorrow or not. Twenty five knot winds upon us here in the harbor. I imagine the seas are freshening up outside pretty well about now. But our first onshore meal in six days was delicious and at 5:15PM I'm ready to go to bed.